Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MSUspartan25000  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:11:10 PM(UTC)
MSUspartan25000

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer. It keeps blowing the thermal fuse. I have replaced the thermal fuse multiple times. I have replaced the high-limit thermostat, the thermal cut-off, and the thermistor.

If I run the dryer through a cycle with the thermal fuse bypassed it runs fine. When I replace the thermal fuse, the dryer runs too hot and blows the thermal fuse. I at a loss for what could be wrong. I have replaced just about everything I can think of that could be causing the problem.

I do not think there is any blockage because the lint screen is clean and the air blows strong out the outside vent when running.

Please help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 4:26:55 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I would first check to see if the heating element is cycling on and off. If the relay switch is stuck closed it will cause the heating element to stay on and overheat, blowing out the fuse. I would try running the unit and testing the exhaust heat. You can do this by using a meat thermometer. Poke the probe into the transition hose (slinky tube) about four to six inches from the back of the dryer exhaust. Position it so that you can read the temperature while the unit is running. Now turn on the dryer to normal setting (assuming the fuse is good) and watch the temperature. It should read up to 160f - 175f degrees and then should cool down to 125f - 140f degrees before cycling back up.
If it begins to keep climbing above 180f it will soon blow out the thermal fuse. Shut down the dryer and I suspect the relay on the main control board might be stuck in the on position. It may also be a shorted heating element causing the heat to stay on but the relay would be my first guess.
brobriffin attached the following image(s):
themometer.jpg
MSUspartan25000  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:00:59 PM(UTC)
MSUspartan25000

Thanks for the reply. If the relay is stuck open does the control board need to be replaced or is there a way to get it unstuck?
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:03:21 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Typically if it isn't working properly the board will need replaced.
ppipowerclass  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 12:42:15 PM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

I have had this problem with a dryer before, then a few other shortly after. I had bought a bunch of fuses bulk on an internet auction website ( I like how it filtered out where! ). They were the problem. Idk if you got the FSP fuses or not. Just food for thought!
GarryIno  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 6:56:07 AM(UTC)
GarryIno

United States

Hi...Ran an Air just cycle and it ran hot. Checked resistance on the principle control board between P14-3 and P14-6 and had 7k - 8k resistance. As indicated by the tech manual between 5k - 15k it says the control board and over 20k methods the Thermistor. Checked the Thermistor and had 10.4k @ surrounding temp of 76°. Checked the Thermal cut off and had progression between the leads. Additionally checked the component for a short to ground and had no progression. I believe it's guiding me toward the primary control board, yet need to ensure I check everything before I burn through $200 on another board. Any proposals?

order pcb

Edited by user Friday, March 19, 2021 1:35:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ThatGuy  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 2:51:45 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Model numbers are helpful. If your element isn't shorted to ground. I'd suspect the large relay on the board has burnt contacts that are getting stuck together.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply