Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rbhall52  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 12:04:52 PM(UTC)
rbhall52

Groups: Registered

I have been trying to remove parts to get to the chopper blade area of my kenmore dishwasher, model 66516765690. I was able to get past the top of the pump with its torx screws, but the black cast iron part underneath it will not come loose. I removed the screw on top using a crescent wrench to hold the hexagonal part on top, and have been working at it with a screwdriver on the sides, but it refuses to budge. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rbhall52  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:32:03 PM(UTC)
rbhall52

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: rbhall52 Go to Quoted Post
I have been trying to remove parts to get to the chopper blade area of my kenmore dishwasher, model 66516765690. I was able to get past the top of the pump with its torx screws, but the black cast iron part underneath it will not come loose. I removed the screw on top using a crescent wrench to hold the hexagonal part on top, and have been working at it with a screwdriver on the sides, but it refuses to budge. Any ideas?

I was finally able to get the impeller off, but only after drilling several holes near the hole where the screw goes in on top. Even after breaking off the top portion (I had replacement parts in hand), it took a bit of effort to finally get the impeller to come loose from the shaft it was wedged onto.

I have seen several videos that claim to show how easy it is to get the impeller off the shaft, but in my case it was very difficult to remove. If I ever have to remove it again, I will probably have to make myself some kind of special tool to go underneath and rock it back and forth till it comes loose. A screwdriver will eventually damage it after all kinds of rocking from the sides. Kenmore, whirlpool, and other manufacturers need to do better than this and provide a tool that can make removal much easier.

Once I got the impeller loose, I was able to get to and clean out the cutter blade area. I found a jagged piece of metal, a circular piece of metal, and a small measuring spoon. Noisy dishwasher problem solved. I put it all back together after cleaning things up a bit, and it's working well now.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply