Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roger Lewis  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:36:42 PM(UTC)
Roger Lewis

Groups: Registered

Both lights in my Whirlpool side-by-side are strobing. I found several thread discussing this problem. All say to remove the light in the refrig side but that light has no tabs or screws. So I looked in the manual and it states that the refrig side light can NOT be removed.

It appears that I might be able to remove the light in the freezer side. Is it possible that the freezer light houses the module that needs to be replaced? If so, what will the product number for the new module?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 10:35:51 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

It is a very easy change, the refrigerator LED module can be removed and is probably your issue. The manual probably means that there is no light bulb to change. If you need to change the part it is easy but you may even just have a wiring issue. Before you buy the module play with the wiring going to it, it can be the issue and if you are lucky you save $.

This is a 20 minute job, 30 your 1st time. 10 of that is waiting for the customer to remove items that are in the way.

There are vids on Youtube about it. Same part was used in many models I think so even if it's a bottom freezer vid you might be seeing same or similar process.

The upper LEDs - Whirlpool WPW10515058 Light - AppliancePartsPros.com

Good Luck!
Roger Lewis  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:17:45 PM(UTC)
Roger Lewis

Thanks for the reply. The refrigerator side can NOT be removed.....I emptied the refrig and crawled inside. It is not removable. But, I was able to remove the one in the freezer side and found the module on this site and have it ordered. I will update when it comes in.

Whirpool shows a manufactured date on the sticker of 3-14. The part number is different than the one that you referenced. This (Whirlpool WPW10515057 Light - AppliancePartsPros.com ) is the one one that matched the part number inside the module.

Thanks Again!!
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 7:34:09 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Yes that is the freezer side module part # as they are different parts. I do not know if they are interchangeable in any way but I don't think so.

Usually it's the refrigerator side top module that causes it. If yours isn't removable it would be the first one I've ever seen that did not come apart. I'll poll my coworkers tomorrow, maybe one of them has had seen a style I have not. I have only changed 10 or so as I work on more than just refrigeration and some of them don't.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's the freezer module. Never seen that one solve it but I've been wrong before, it's part of seeing 6-10 machines per day for more than a decade; I'm going to misdiagnose something once in a while and see a new issue from time to time.
Roger Lewis  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 2:16:11 PM(UTC)
Roger Lewis

delete delete
PNWDrew  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 2:20:41 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Good to know that's a possibility next time I see one of these. Thanks for the update.
Roger Lewis  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 2:34:03 PM(UTC)
Roger Lewis

Well.....it worked for about 4 hours and 10 trips into the refrig/freezer. Now it is strobing again. I looked once again at the refrig side light and there are no tabs (like on the freezer side) and no screws.
PNWDrew  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 7:02:20 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Well crap... you still have the dance party.

I went on vacation for a little while and am just getting back to normal life.

Snap some pics of the ref side light and post them and I'll see if I can spot how it comes out. I often have to figure these things out on the spot, there's just too many variations.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply