Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dwizum  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:56:53 AM(UTC)
dwizum

Groups: Registered

I have an older Whirlpool direct drive washer, model LSR6132HQ1.

For the past several weeks, it has had an issue where it won't always pump all the water out at the end of a cycle. The clothes will be wet and there will be a few inches of water in the bottom of the unit. If I turn the knob to the very end of the cycle and cause it to repeat the spin cycle, it will eventually pump dry like it's supposed to.

Besides not pumping out all the water, there is sometimes a very faint burning smell. It's almost like a burning rubber smell, it doesn't smell like a burnt motor or electrical in nature.

Any ideas? I've replaced the little coupling piece several times, this doesn't seem like that's the issue. It does spin, and it does pump, it's just not pumping as well as it should.

If this had a drive belt on the pump, that would seem like the obvious issue. But it's direct drive. Any thoughts?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jimctec  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:52:26 AM(UTC)
jimctec

Perhaps something is caught up in your pump and restricting the pumping action. This will cause heat and could melt your pump; have seen it happen.
dwizum  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:49:02 AM(UTC)
dwizum

Could a worn clutch cause this? Does the clutch have anything to do with pumping, or just spinning?
manfred63  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 9:21:21 PM(UTC)
manfred63

Originally Posted by: dwizum Go to Quoted Post
Could a worn clutch cause this? Does the clutch have anything to do with pumping, or just spinning?

The clutch has nothing to do with the draining, a worn clutch would just cause it to spin too slowly or not at all. Standing water at end of the cycle usually indicates a problem with the pump or the drain spout from the bottom of tub where the hose is attached being obstructed with an article of clothing. Remove the hoses from the pump, and remove it from the motor to look inside the pump for a sock or something. If it is clear, remove hose from bottom of tub to see if something is stuck there restricting the water flow.

You can look at the washer repair videos on my website and see an example of a sock stuck in a water pump on my video "Diagnose Washer that won't spin or drain, just hums"
Ken's Appliance Repair
dwizum  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 7:52:15 AM(UTC)
dwizum

I was suspecting the clutch because it smells like... well, like a burnt clutch. Also, I'm wondering if the water in the bottom was due to incomplete/poor spin cycle, not poor pumping. The issue was sporadic, it was only happening maybe half the time.

At any rate, by the time I'd seen your post, I had already bought a new clutch and put it on. It doesn't seem to have happened since, but I've only had 3 loads through. If it continues to have a problem I will report back here, but for now I am going to assume this has fixed it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply