Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Houseforsaken  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2016 1:24:58 PM(UTC)
Houseforsaken

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

I stumbled on to this site and its been full of useful info!

I'm hoping someone can help me with my dryer. I've read just about every gas dryer issue I could find, but it doesn't solve my problems.

Last week I noticed a strong odor of gas from the dryer, so after research on this site I changed the coils. When I put the new coils in, the dryer fired right up. I let it run, the flame goes out, after a minute or so the ignitor glows again and turns off, but no flame and then the smell of gas.

Once the dryer has cooled down, I start it again and the ignition coils glows, flame comes on, runs a cycle, ignitor glows again and no flame just the smell of gas.

Can someone please help?! Like most of us, I'm on a kind of tight budget and would prefer not to call a technician.

I have a video if that helps.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:37:52 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If the gas valve coils didn't fix it and you have a smell of gas, I recommend replacing the gas valve Whirlpool WP8318277 Valve, 60 Hz. (includes Pipe & Illus. NO.7) - AppliancePartsPros.com here comes the however, unless you are willing to assure that you can assemble this gas valve exactly (gas tight) I recommend that you have a repair person that can prove they are certified in gas appliance repair do the job. I say this as a retired firefighter "home safety first".
Just my 2 cents!
Houseforsaken  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:14:21 AM(UTC)
Houseforsaken

Hi, thank you for the reply. I was afraid it would come down to this part. I understand this part doesn't usually fail...seems it would be just my luck lol.

Is there a way to verify it is indeed this part before I spend $200 + the cost of a certified technician?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf-Ljw6Rmw0

Here is a link to a video I took after replacing the coils. I stopped recording after the 2nd time the igniter kicked on and off because there was no flame and gas was being released.

Thanks again for all your help!!!
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:08:47 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Mr. P. M.
1. I do not recommend testing the unit as you have in the video. The coils may not be opening because the system needs air flow to cycle the coils open and closed via the cycling thermostat. It is located on the exhaust vent. You testing it in this manor are causing the high limit thermostat to trip open and it takes longer to reset. I hope you haven't permanently tripped the high limit thermostat.
2. Please reassemble the dryer completely and run a test. Remove the little plastic plug on the bottom left corner of the front panel to visualize the burner operation.
3. Let us know the results of this test.
Houseforsaken  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:03:46 AM(UTC)
Houseforsaken

Hi,

Thank you for your help!

The reason I am testing it in this manner is because when I first replaced the coils the dryer worked for 1.5 loads of laundry. (They were small loads)

The dryer worked great during the first run and testing before I ran a load in it. I did smell a faint odor of gas from the exhaust vent outside the house.

During the 2nd load is when I began smelling the gas again in the house and in the drum, i first removed the white cap on the front and saw exactly the same as what is happening in the video. So I took the dryer apart and began retesting everything.

I really appreciate all your time and help...this is driving me crazy lol.

I even went and exchanged the new coils for other new coils thinking they may have been faulty.
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:45:51 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

A couple of other items to check before you replace the gas valve is the flame sensor. Whirlpool WP338906 Flame Sensor - AppliancePartsPros.com
If its malfunctioning the gas valves won't open.
Also check the resistance of the new coils. I know you just got a second set but before we rule them out check for resistance to see if they are good..
The 2 prong coil should read between 1000 and 2000 ohms.
The 3 prong coil should read between 300 and 2000 ohms.
If these both check out then it's probably time for a new gas valve.
I don't suspect the cycling thermostat because it wasn't even in the scenario in your video.
The only constants there were the gas valve, the coils and the flame sensor.
Houseforsaken  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:14:11 AM(UTC)
Houseforsaken

That's exactly what I did before I took the video. I tested the flame sensor and there is continuity. I tested the high temp sensor (little white one on the back) that had continuity, the coils all tested fine.
Is there a reason why the gas valve would fail or only get flame intermittently? If I smell gas, does that mean the valve is working? I have no idea how the gas valve works.

Thanks again for all your help.
Houseforsaken  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:58:17 PM(UTC)
Houseforsaken

Is it possible to have a weak ignitor? I read the material can break down over time/use.
Would you advise replacing this before replacing the gas valve?
Thanks again in advance!
brobriffin  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:51:41 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

It is possible for the igniter to be weak. It didn't appear so in the video.
Do you have gas smell all the time or just when it doesn't ignite? If only when it doesn't ignite try installing a new igniter. Whirlpool 279311 Dryer Igniter Kit and Bracket - AppliancePartsPros.com
The cool thing with our Buy n Try policy if this doesn't fix your problem just return the part for a refund. Look at the info, just click on the "365 Day Buy and Try" link on your parts page.
Houseforsaken  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:25:18 PM(UTC)
Houseforsaken

That is correct, I only smell gas when it doesn't ignite. The past couple times I've tried to test the dryer, there's been no ignition/flame.
That's great to know about the Buy n Try policy! Looks like I'll be ordering 1 of everything!
Thank you for all your help!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply