Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doug615  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:27:12 PM(UTC)
Doug615

Groups: Registered

Hello - this is my first post here.

I have a Kenmore, model 10650542001 side by side that is not cooling right now. It happened a couple months ago and as I removed the back panel to check the coils to see if they were iced up, something happened (I kind of thought I might have bumped the defrost thermostat) and the refrigerator kicked on and worked fine up until yesterday.

Yesterday morning, same problem again. Freezer and fridge are both warm. Lights work. compressor does not feel warm at all. I took the defrost thermostat out yesterday and tested continuity. I initially had an open across the wires since it was warm. I placed it in my chest freezer for awhile and tested again and I had continuity across the two wires. According to what I found on the internet, that should be correct.

After that, I found out about the defrost timer. So, I started checking on that. I advanced it manually until it clicked and maybe 20 minutes later, the fridge was working again. This morning I found that it was not working again. putting my ear near the timer, I could not hear it advancing like I could the day before.

After removing the timer, I took an old extension cord, put some terminals on the ends and plugged the hot to pin 1 and the neutral to pin 3. when I plugged into an outlet, the I could hear the timer advancing and it ran for several hours. With power disconnected, I verified continuity between pins 1 and 2, then manually advanced it until it clicked and then had continuity between pins 1 and 4. So, that appears to be working correctly.

I reinstalled the timer and plugged into the fridge and I could not hear the timer advancing. I pulled the timer back out and checked for voltage between pins 1 and 3 of the refrigerator wiring harness and got 3 volts. Shouldn't that be 120v?

So, I'd kind of like to continue troubleshooting, but was unable to locate a schematic or any useful information online. I thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any recommendations on what to try next, or had a schematic or knew where to get one and just want to make sure I'm on the right track here.

thank you for any help you can provide!

Doug
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.