Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stagestruck  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:38:47 AM(UTC)
stagestruck

Groups: Registered

New oven installed yesterday, with new 40amp branch circuit to the breaker panel. Checked the voltage at the junction box before sliding the oven into place: 110volts each side, 220v total, so there's no problem with the wiring.

Connected everything up, slid oven into place, flipped breaker - oven lights up, control panel works, fans come on and no errors shown. But neither oven heats (it's a dual oven model) no broilers, nothing.

DOA? Or could the branch wiring be faulty somehow? But then I checked that. The only thing I can think of is that somehow when shoving the wires into the junction box then maybe one of the sides disconnected, so it's only getting 110v, but then surely the panels and fans wouldn't work? But I made sure I tightened everything in the box tightly, so this isn't likely anyway.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 8:47:40 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stagestruck Go to Quoted Post
New oven installed yesterday, with new 40amp branch circuit to the breaker panel. Checked the voltage at the junction box before sliding the oven into place: 110volts each side, 220v total, so there's no problem with the wiring.

Connected everything up, slid oven into place, flipped breaker - oven lights up, control panel works, fans come on and no errors shown. But neither oven heats (it's a dual oven model) no broilers, nothing.

DOA? Or could the branch wiring be faulty somehow? But then I checked that. The only thing I can think of is that somehow when shoving the wires into the junction box then maybe one of the sides disconnected, so it's only getting 110v, but then surely the panels and fans wouldn't work? But I made sure I tightened everything in the box tightly, so this isn't likely anyway.

Stagestruck, In most cases electric wall ovens use L1 power (120 VAC) to power the control panel relays and peripheral components. L2 power(120 VAC) is pretty much "reserved" for powering the elements, through the DLB relay and or thermal fuse. (see the attached information) A quick easy check, turn power off, remove the door and the racks, and dismount the bake element and carefully slide it out until the wiring and element terminals are accessible, set your meter to read 240 VAC, place the meter leads across the element terminals and program a bake cycle. You should read 220-240 VAC. If you read 120 VAC, you've lost a power leg, if you read 0 VAC, that would indicate a "same source" power supply and would indicate a problem in the house wiring.
File Attachment(s):
tech data sheet.pdf (1,118kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
stagestruck  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 12:59:38 PM(UTC)
stagestruck

Groups: Registered

Thanks.
So turns out I had put the new breaker in a space where both sides were the same phase, so I was getting 120v each side but 0v when measured across the two hot wires. Shifting the breaker to a place where it was getting the opposite phases fixed it.

Oops, anyway... All good now.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 1:21:27 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stagestruck Go to Quoted Post
Thanks.
So turns out I had put the new breaker in a space where both sides were the same phase, so I was getting 120v each side but 0v when measured across the two hot wires. Shifting the breaker to a place where it was getting the opposite phases fixed it.

Oops, anyway... All good now.

Stagestruck, Good Recovery, Great job. Thanks for the update.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply