Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coastalhousewife  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:37:07 PM(UTC)
coastalhousewife

Groups: Registered

I have a top loading Maytag washer - the model is A408, though I'm not sure how helpful that information is (since I called Maytag today and they told me the serial number I gave them was 2000 but the model number was "invalid").

Basically, I noticed not too long ago that sometimes I would set up a load for washing, the washer would fill with water, but instead of progressing to agitating, it would start making a buzzing noise and do nothing. Once I left the washer running because I assumed it was working (had our very loud dryer running right next to it and didn't hear the buzzing sound upstairs) - I came back to a washer that said "off" but was still full of soapy water and unwashed clothes. For the first few times I noticed this, I would turn the washer off by setting the dial to "off" and then come back in an hour and try again. Usually that worked...not the problem has progressed to the point where nothing works and the washer simply will not agitate, rinse, spin or drain.

Repair companies recommended by Maytag were extremely shady and evasive about how much it would cost to repair. I'd much rather we repair it ourselves if it's an easy to intermediate fix...otherwise we have to ask our landlord to replace it, which I don't really want to do.

Any ideas what would cause this? Experience with repairing the problem?

I'd be very thankful for any advice!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.