Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ouzelpro  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 2:47:38 PM(UTC)
ouzelpro

Groups: Registered

OK. Motor will run during rinse and spin, but not during wash.
ouzelpro  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 2:52:48 PM(UTC)
ouzelpro

#13 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 5:45:23 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Then it appears you have at least two different problems which is strange so I don't have much confidence in the information you are giving me. Hard to diagnose this way. I think I'm done here.

Eric
ouzelpro  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:24:49 PM(UTC)
ouzelpro

I took the gearcase out, and with a power drill attached to the coupler, I was able to observe the shaft operate both in spin and agitate (i e, back and forth) directions. Its operates smoothly, so that should mean a functional gearcase.
So, I installed a new motor: same problem, no agitator.
I removed the gearcase, and rotated the shaft in both directions using a high speed hand drill. It works as it should. I think that leaves the timer. Am I over looking something?
I guess I should buy a multi-meter, and find directions on testing the timer before ordering a new one. I found a helpful Youtube video. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
fairbank56  
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 2:26:44 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

There is also the possibility that the water level pressure switch is faulty. You now say that the motor does not run during agitation cycle. Does it make any noise at all or is it all quiet? Does the timer advance while in agitation cycle even though motor is not running? If the motor is quiet and timer does not advance, then looks like a bad pressure switch. If motor does hum but won't rotate, it's likely the timer. The timer reverses polarity to the start windings to make the motor start rotating in the opposite direction than it does during drain/spin.

Eric
ouzelpro  
#16 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 5:22:03 AM(UTC)
ouzelpro

Thanks for the info, I'll report back ASAP. I did get a multimeter, hopefully that will help with diagnosis.
ouzelpro  
#17 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 2:25:05 PM(UTC)
ouzelpro

I removed the water level pressure switch and checked for continuity with a multimeter; it failed.
I'm going to check some other components to eliminate the possibility that there is more than one problem.
ouzelpro  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:05:06 AM(UTC)
ouzelpro

The solution was a new water level pressure switch; certainly cheaper than a timer. I'm glad that I bought a multimeter and learned the basics, otherwise it would cost a visit from a repairman. The problem is resolved.
Seldom  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2015 2:01:06 PM(UTC)
Seldom

My Kenmore 90 series has a similar but slightly different problem. It fills, but then buzzes (sounds like the motor is trying to start) for about 10 seconds and then throws the circuit breaker. Once I reset the breaker, I can move the timer over to the rinse cycle and it will drain and spin properly. I have checked the lid switch, coupler, all ok. I put a power drill on the motor shaft and it spins properly in clockwise motion, and agitates properly in counter clockwise motion, so the transmission seems ok. It seems like the motor will not start in agitate mode. What else should I be checking?
fairbank56  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:10:58 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

What's the model number? Probably a bad timer or speed switch if it has one but need model number to see wiring diagram.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply