Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JayDigger  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 9:30:29 AM(UTC)
JayDigger

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have a Kenmore 90 series washing machine that will no longer spin. When the spin cycle is on it makes a loud buzzing type sound, motor comes on, but it does not spin at all. Model number is listed below. Thanks in advance.

MOD: 23932200
SER: CM1506235
TYPE: 111

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 10:27:01 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Does it agitate and drain ok? Remove cabinet and bypass the lid switch. Pull pump from motor and run in spin mode. Is motor shaft rotating? If so, is the clutch hub on top of gearcase rotating? If not, pull motor and check motor coupler for broken pieces, cracks in plastic halves, worn out rubber isolator. Rotate gearcase input shaft CW by hand. Does clutch hub rotate?

Eric
JayDigger  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 11:08:13 AM(UTC)
JayDigger

Thank you for your response Eric. It does not drain fully and I'm not sure if it is agitating. I will check that this weekend along with your other suggestions.
JayDigger  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:01:19 AM(UTC)
JayDigger

How do I bypass the lid switch?
JayDigger  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:31:02 AM(UTC)
JayDigger

Eric,

Thanks again for your help. I found that one of the plastic motor couplers was broken. Would you be able to tell me the part number I need?
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:49:02 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The replacement couplers now have a metal insert and are a very tight fit. Use a socket and hammer to tap them on and make sure you get them on til they are flush with the end of the motor/gearcase shafts.

Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
KCKen  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:00:22 PM(UTC)
KCKen

I hope you don't mind me posting to this thread, as I have a similar problem and sometimes it is best to not start new threads. As a newbie, I hope I follow the social norms.

Kenmore Series 90 top loader, 110.28922790, probably close to 14 years old.

I had this problem last month, and replaced a Direct Drive Motor coupler. It was the all-plastic unit. Figuring the age, sure perhaps these wear out over time. However, less than one month later, and it is broke again (the new model with the steel sleeve on the drive shaft, the rest is plastic. It doesn't take a genius to tell me that perhaps something else is broke, and the coupler is an indicator?

The pump spins fine by hand; that takes care of one end. I can spin the transmission shaft end easily, and this turns the drum. This seems to not be a brake or clutch issue. When the coupler wasn't broke, the spin cycle worked fine (no slow spins) and wasn't making any odd noises.

What else should I check? I ordered a new coupler, and because they are easy I went ahead and ordered a spare. However I can't but think there is more to the problem as it probably isn't normal to break two in a month after many years of never breaking one?

Thank you.

Ken
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2022 1:47:02 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I checked agitator it seem fine.hood latch is working.but won't agaite or spin
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply