Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aws1963  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:44:55 PM(UTC)
aws1963

Groups: Registered

I'll try to be as thorough as possible with my explanation.

Washer will fill, spin, drain, but not agitate.

I have tried all different wash cycles and it's the same.

I have checked the couplers and they are good. Replaced the 4 "dogs" too. When the timer goes to the agitate cycle after initial filling of the drum, I hear nothing. Dead quiet. No sound of the motor engaging the gear box. Timer still moves, and then once it hits the drain/spin cycle it does just that.

My guess is that since the washer spins, the gear box is fine. The fact that I don't hear the motor during the agitate cycle makes me think its the timer. However, I don't want to spend $180 for a "maybe".

Thanks for any assistance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:51:55 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like the timer but need washer model number to be sure. If you buy timer from APP and it doesn't fix the problem, you may return it.

Eric
aws1963  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:56:45 PM(UTC)
aws1963

Model number is 110. 26902690

Thanks.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:11:35 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Ok, this could also be caused by a faulty speed select switch. Open the control panel and check for 120vac on the blue/white wire and on the orange wire (both referenced to ground) on the back of the speed switch. Alternatively, jump these two wires together. This of course is with washer full of water in wash mode when it should be agitating.

Eric
aws1963  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:34:53 PM(UTC)
aws1963

Voltage to both was 123 vac.

Jumped the two blue/white and orange during the "agitate" cycle and nothing happened.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:43:50 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, now you need to remove the cabinet and check the orange wire at the motor. Check for 120vac at orange wire while connector is plugged into motor and washer should be agitating. If you don't have it, check same orange wire at motor connector while in spin. That's spin, not drain. Directly after agitation stops and drain starts, power to motor is via blue wire. After 2 minute drain, motor should pause, then start again for spin, power is via orange wire. If you don't have power at motor connector orange wire during agitation but do have it there during spin, then check continuity of the orange wire between speed switch and timer connector. If good, then the timer is bad. You will have to jump out the lid switch for power during spin mode.

I realize your washer does spin but need to make sure that it spins when timer is in spin and not drain. During drain, gearcase is in neutral and will drain without spinning for 2 minutes, however, since your washer won't agitate, the gearcase will not go into neutral (neutral is set during agitate) which means washer will go into spin right away when timer gets to drain. Probably confusing you but just trying to prove for sure that the problem is the timer and not a bad connection at the motor connector orange wire or even possibly the motor speed switch.

Cabinet removal: Cabinet removing Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Lid switch bypass: Lid switch bypassing Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Whirlpool 3951769 Timer-Washer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
aws1963  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:53:48 PM(UTC)
aws1963

Eric,

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate your advice and walking me through the troubleshooting procedures. I will go through the process you described tomorrow as I have plans this evening.

I'll follow up with a post on my findings.
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:08:03 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Ok, sounds good. You can actually forego all that. If the washer spins for more than 2 minutes, then I know the orange wire from timer to motor is ok as well as the motor speed switch (located at motor). So, if it spins for more than 2 minutes, just check continuity of the orange wire between control panel speed switch and timer. If ok, then timer is bad.

Eric
aws1963  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:30:50 PM(UTC)
aws1963

Ok. Ran the washer on small load and it filled, sat during the agitation cycle, then drained and spun for about 2 minutes. Checked the continuity between the speed switch and the timer on the orange wire and it's a closed circuit. Guess I am on to buying a new timer!

I did notice the washer spun while draining. Took about 45 seconds to drain and then continued to spin for another 70-75 seconds. In your post #6 you stated this would probably happen.
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:58:27 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yes, but it should spin for longer than 2 minutes. Motor should pause for a few seconds after the 2 minute period and then start again and run (spin) for about 6 more minutes. If not, then timer is not likely the problem.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply