Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brettdog  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 11:13:48 AM(UTC)
brettdog

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Washer WPSE4200A0WW.

It started to make a Ka Chunk, Ka Chunk, Ka Chunk noise during the agitate cycle.

The agitator is turning during this cycle with the noise and the tub appears to be turning also but much slower like it is moving on it's own.

When off, the top half of the agitator spins freely in the CW direction.
I can turn the belt in both directions, but in one direction it moves easily. In the other direction, it moves easily at first, then it gets harder and the tub turns.

I can turn the tub and lower agitator by hand CW, and like the belt, will turn CCW easily at first and then catches and is very hard to turn or won't turn.

The spin, rinse and drain cycles seem to work fine.

Any suggestions on how to identify what I need to replace?

Thanks,
bdog
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 11:17:12 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Are the clothes getting twisted up in the wash cycle?
brettdog  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:24:58 AM(UTC)
brettdog

Not that I have noticed.
It still seems to complete the wash cycles, just the ca chunk noise during agitate.

bdog
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:29:37 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Does it sound like the motor is making the noise, can you tell? there are tension clips between the top and front panels that keep the front panel in place. You can slide a putty knife between the clip and the front panel to release them and get a look inside.
brettdog  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:20:28 PM(UTC)
brettdog

I just posted 2 videos to Youtube to try and show the problem.
It's my first time using youtube so I hope it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtsB8qiP17E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnAHVNuAjEY
Appliance Ninja  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:24:35 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Great job on the videos! If you grab the clutch that is mounted on the bottom of the motor and move it, does it feel loose, moving side to side in a twisting motion?
brettdog  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:09:38 PM(UTC)
brettdog

No. It feels solidly attached to the motor.
Appliance Ninja  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:10:58 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Thank you! Can you tell if that noise is actually coming from the motor? It sounds to me like it is but I am judging by the video only.
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:29:49 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You say that you can rotate the tub and lower agitator by hand. You should not normally be able to do that. The tub takes considerable force to rotate by hand as the brakes should be holding it and you should not be able to rotate the lower agitator at all unless when doing that, the tub and transmission are going with it. With front panel off, rotate tub by hand while observing the transmission housing. Does it rotate when you rotate the basket? If so, it appears you have a faulty transmission. If not, you may have a faulty split ring (tub drive block) or the tub nut has loosened. The two speed motors in these models often make a similar Ka Chunk noise when they fail to operate properly in low speed but I don't think that's' the problem here. Sounds and looks like the noise is occuring while in high speed.

Eric
brettdog  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:38:10 PM(UTC)
brettdog

Not sure if this helps, but I ran the Field Service Mode and it came back with "Error Code - Slow Pump", ie the fifth LED from the right was lit.

It's hard to describe what I am able to turn, but I'll try.

Grab the top of the tub and able to turn clockwise easily and agitator does not turn.
Grab the top of the tub and able to turn CCW easily for a couple turns and then it gets hard.
Almost like the CW turning was loosening and CCW was retightening until it gets tight.
Maybe the tub nut is loose?

Unable to turn the Agitator CW or CCW. If I turn the Tub CW a little, I am able to turn the Agitator CCW a little. The tub turns with the agitator.

I am going to try to tighten the tub nut later, but should I check anything else while I have the Agitator removed?

Would this be causing the noise or just a secondary problem?
The noise has been happening for a while and I recently took apart the washer to clean the tub due to odors. I thought I tightened the tub nut, but I may have needed to give it a few more whacks.

The washer and dryer are 12+ years old so it may not be worth repairing if it is a big ticket item.

bdog