Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mkdamiano  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:42:15 PM(UTC)
mkdamiano

Groups: Registered

Kenmore side-by-side; Ice maker is making ice and filling bin, although not as fast as my wife thinks it should, but when you put the glass against the dispenser tab no ice is dispensed. If I push against the dispenser tab with the back of my hand while reaching up inside and pull forward on the hatch (don't know the technical term) then ice will come out. Kinda awkward though. People don't like me getting their ice that way for some reason :rolleyes:

I'm hoping it's fixable but I can't even figure out how to get the cover off the front of the door to look at the thing. Any ideas????

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:25:16 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

At the bottom of the front facade (number 23) are two slots. Unplug the refrigerator and insert a screwdriver and twist slightly while pushing down just above each slot and the tabs will release. Then the entire front facade will lift up and be able to be moved aside to see the control bracket (number 15). I suspect you will find that the plastic pins that hold the dispenser switches onto that bracket are broken. If so, that bracket is available below. Let me know what you find.

Whirlpool 2180226 Bracket - AppliancePartsPros.com
Appliance Ninja attached the following image(s):
APP1.jpg
mkdamiano  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:32:57 PM(UTC)
mkdamiano

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately.....your directions and my fridge seem to conflict. There are absolutely no holes, tabs, clips or anything on the underside of the trim piece on the door. If I tug on the sides it will pull away a little bit but it is obviously secured top and bottom. I don't know if I should try to wedge something in between on the bottom or not. I could take a pic of the bottom if it would help.
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:53:26 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

If you can post one of the bottom of that front facade that would be great!
Appliance Ninja  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 7:11:01 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I looked at a picture of the front facade and there are slots. They are about 1 1/2" in from each side and just wide enough to get a screwdriver blade in, they are hard to see.
mkdamiano  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 7:15:02 PM(UTC)
mkdamiano

I have zero idea how u saw a picture. According to this phone and the site it says it didn't post!
mkdamiano  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 7:24:57 PM(UTC)
mkdamiano

UGHHH Will try again tomorrow!! I put the screwdriver in the slot as you suggested but it sounds like this thing is applied with double sided tape. That or I'm ripping the plastic apart. I don't feel any type of clip in there. Hope you're back later. Thanks for your help.
Appliance Ninja  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:35:17 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

You won't feel any clip, there is just a plastic pressure tab that holds the front on at the bottom on each side. I have not seen one of this style with tape. It does sound like the plastic will break when releasing, but I have not broken one yet. If you apply downward pressure with your hand on the piece while twisting, it is usually pretty easy to snap free.
mkdamiano  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:56:33 PM(UTC)
mkdamiano

Well, I hope you're still with me.... I finally got around to getting this cover off and although I can't quite tell what I'm supposed to be looking at it appears that there are no parts missing in the area you indicated. Is there another possible cause of the problem or would a picture be in order again??
mkdamiano  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2013 6:40:31 AM(UTC)
mkdamiano

ok, removed front, no broken pins or anything. It appears that the ice lever is not making contact with the switch and that appears to be because the ice door is not opening enough to allow it to hit. That explains why if you reach up and open the chute the lever will make contact. I just can't figure why or what is preventing the chute from opening
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply