Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Larry75243  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 11:10:36 AM(UTC)
Larry75243

Groups: Registered

First, thanks for all the help I have read on here about fixing other things. A great resource.

Here's the problem:

I'm dealing with a GE washer, model # WCXR1070TAWW that seems to work fine when you select Extra Small load size.

It fills, shuts water off, agitates for whatever dirt level you've selected, stops agitation, then drains, fill again and then does the final spin and rinse till it completes.

If the load size is Medium or Extra large it acts weird
It will fill, shuts water off, agitates as long as needed then when it is done agitating, it begins to fill again and will not stop and overflows. What a mess!

Does this on the Permanent press cycles also.

What I have done so far:

I removed the backsplash to get to water level pressure switch and disconnected it and blew through to make sure it was reset and clear.

I also removed the tub drain hose from the water pump to make sure nothing was in there just in case, also removed discharge hose to also make sure nothing in discharge.

I've checked and made sure the discharge hose is above the top of the tub to prevent accidental run off and even though it is a GE hose that is corrugated, I made sure it was not in the drain pipe too far to avoid the siphon problem.

I've inspected the plastic hose from the rub to the switch checking for any damage, nothing.

Disconnecting both ends of the fill line, I put my thumb over one end and blew into the other checking for any leaks. None found.

I connected the line back to the level switch, set to Extra small, and blew gently into the line, it clicked. Repeated for the Medium and the Extra Large (inly 3 choices on this machine) and all 3 gave me the click and for all 3 load sizes I could see the back move out and make the connection.

The only thing I did question was I also heard another click inside the timer but it was not consistent and I so I do know know what that meant or means.

I'm tempted to just replace the water level switch since things work for Extra small and not the other 2 load sizes but before I order it I'd appreciate any additional insight or suggestions as to why it wants to resume filling after the initial agitation.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 12:36:16 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It can't fill unless the pressure switch is in the "empty" position. Either the switch is faulty or the air pressure in the hose is slowly leaking out.

GE WH12X10065 Water Level Switch - AppliancePartsPros.com

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...-wh41x365-ap2046584.html

Eric
Larry75243  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:16:06 AM(UTC)
Larry75243

I found another instance of a GE washer having intermittent fill issues not exactly like this but reasonably similar on another site but they changed out the water level switch and it solved the problem.

I sent ahead and ordered a new one from AppliancePartsPro and will update this after I install it.

BTW, I find it annoying that GE has the "flood" tube located in the back corner of the machine and all it does is empty inside the machine with no way to easily attach any kind of hose to it in case of an overflow.

I am thinking of cutting a hole in the back panel and attaching a "donor" drain hose and running it to the 2" drain pipe that goes into my mother's basement so that if this ever overflows again I won't have to spend a lot of time cleaning up all the water!
Larry75243  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:42:50 PM(UTC)
Larry75243

The part came yesterday and today I installed it by doing these steps:

Once the back splash was off, I used the small flat screw driver to release the retainer tab and rotated it 90 degrees rill the tabs around the knob post were aligned so I could removed it from the back splash.

Removed the clear line then undid the 2 connectors, the single at the bottom and the 2 wire connector at the top.

After putting the new switch on the back splash I put the wires back on and then took the clear hose and blew through it again to make sure it was clear. Put it back together and plugged in. Checked the other end of the tube attached to the tub just to make sure it was a solid connection.

Tried to run a Medium load (no clothes) but the same thing happened.

It filled, water shut off, agitates, then stops agitation and then it starts filling again and will overflow if not stopped.

So with water in the tub I removed the hose from the new switch and blew air through it then sucked air until I drew water up way above the box on the side of the outer tub.

Because I noted some crud in the line, I got the shop vac and held the line between my fingers and let the shop vac suck out the line. I was also bumping the rub around in case there was any more loose crud in the outer tub. Repeated that about 4 times just to be sure I had no more small bits of crud.

Put it together and ran the drain and spin cycle. Removed the line again from new switch and blew through it again.

Assembled and tried another Medium load and still no joy.

As a last resort, in the morning I plan to locate the proper 1 11/16 tub wrench to remove the inner tub to go ahead and make sure that the outer tub is as clean as new and any potential bits of crud are not the problem.

IF that is not the problem, with a new load pressure fill switch and the hose working fine without any leaks and nice and clear, I'm at a loss.

One additional thing to note. I did notice that the line does have air bubbles that are pushed up from the box on the outer tub. Not sure if that matters or not.

Really getting sick of this GE washer at this point and regret not bringing a direct drive W H I R L P O O L to my mom's!

But if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

I do have access to a few concrete bricks that might be suitable for a final/terminal wash load if this thing keeps overflowing......
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:03:35 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You didn't replace the hose? The air pressure is leaking out somewhere, allowing the switch to go back to the empty position which turns agitation off and starts filling again. There shouldn't be bubbles or water going up the hose. If there is, it's leaking.

Eric
Larry75243  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:07:49 PM(UTC)
Larry75243

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
You didn't replace the hose? The air pressure is leaking out somewhere, allowing the switch to go back to the empty position which turns agitation off and starts filling again. There shouldn't be bubbles or water going up the hose. If there is, it's leaking.

Eric

The air bubbles are being caused by the agitation during the wash cycle. I watched the box on the outside of the outer tub and the water in there gets sloshed around quite a bit.

Not sure how much is too much?

Given how much the tub seems to be moving, it there a way to check if those tub dampener straps need replaced so it is not jumping so much?

I'll see if I can find a new hose at a local parts store in the morning if not too expensive around here. But I did check that first thing. I wondered if putting small clamps on both ends might insure no potential air leaks. I looked at the old M a y t a g (terrible out of balance issues to be checked in another thread!) that this is replacing and the pressure tube on that has a small worm gear clamp holding the tube on.

That tubing appears to be just plain tubing, I wonder if I can find a suitable replacement in a hardware store if not in stock in an appliance parts store here in NE Ohio.
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:14:54 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

You can either feel for a broken strap by reaching up over the outside of the tub or you can remove the top to examine them.

GE WH1X2727 Washer Tub Dampening Strap - AppliancePartsPros.com

The length of the hose is important although you can cut about 1/2" off each end and reattach in order to get a tight fit. If you get another hose, make sure it's the same length.

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...-wh41x365-ap2046584.html

Eric
Larry75243  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 12:47:26 PM(UTC)
Larry75243

Appears to be working fine now after the last two items I have replaced.

1. I picked up a new fill tube because I figured that even if I did not feel a leak, it could still be losing the air at either end where it connects to the switch or the tub. I considered simply using a small clamp on either end but the replacement hose is so inexpensive it might be best to always replace that hose when replacing the switch.

I might have been able to simply replace the hose and not had to order the new switch which is a lot more expensive than the hose!

2 The other thing I went ahead and did was replace all 4 dampening straps.

When I removed the old ones, even when not stretched out at all, they were longer by the diameter of where they attach to the machine and drum plus they were very easy to stretch.

That took care of the excessive movement and splashing in the box on the side of the outer tub where the fill hose is attached. Before I replaced them, that box was splashing water like crazy but with the new ones, not much at all.

Even though it may have been overkill, because this is for my mom, I went ahead and pulled the inner drum out and scrubbed out all the old detergent from the inside of the agitator and the drum where the agitator hides the bottom of the inner drum. Prior to attaching the new fill hose I also attached the old one and then poured hot water into the tube to help rinse out and crud left in the box after I used a small soft bit of plastic coated wire to clean out the openings to the box from the inside and used it from the top also.

Part of the added incentive for removing the inner tub was I wanted to insure the previous owner had not had anything overflow and make it into the outer tub and cause a problem later. Even though I had checked the water pump and inner tub drain hose, I figured I had most of it apart so why not just go ahead and clean it out!

Nothing but soap build up found but now I know nothing has slipped into that outer tub.

So, with those new parts, the filler hose and the dampening straps, it appears to be good to go and am on the 2nd load as I type and listen to make sure it no longer starts to fill again as soon as the agitation stops!

Thanks again Eric (fairbanks56)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply