Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kevykev  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:22:33 PM(UTC)
Kevykev

Groups: Registered

Freezer only cold at the very bottom. Coils have frost on the upper half. Refrigerator is room temp. The fan in the back of the freezer isn't moving. I turned it with my finger, it ran for a few seconds then stopped. I hear a slight hum coming from the motor. Is the Evaperator fan the problem or something else? Will WD 40 do the trick. :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:18:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Kevykev
The first thing I would do is to check the compressor and the condenser fan. Remove the cover on the back of the fridge and check how hot is the compressor? Is the condenser fan turning well? Also check the condenser coil under the fridge, it is very possible it needs cleaning.
If the condenser fan is not working properly then it has to be replaced. The part number for the motor is AP117874
If the condenser fan motor is fine and the cleaning did not help then the sealed system is low on Freon and in such case you need a certified technician to fix a leak and to charge the system.
Good luck.
Gene.
Kevykev  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 9:22:15 PM(UTC)
Kevykev

Groups: Registered

Thanks for responding so quickly. Compressor is hot and condenser fans is running. Cleaned the coils off. What is the exact function of the fan in the back of the freezer? Because if that's not the problem then it's beyond me. If the system needed to be recharged would it be getting cold at all? Not doubting you, just wanna fix this right.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 10:15:52 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Kevykev
The purpose of the condenser fan is to cool the compressor and the condenser coil.
After you cleaned the coil wait at least 20 hours to see if it helped. Do not forget to put back the cover from the compressor compartment. It is very important for proper cooling.
If the system needs to be charged it means there is a leak. So the leak has to be fixed first and only after that the system has to be charged. You have to decide if it worth the money you have to spend or it's better to buy a new fridge.
Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply