Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kimpossible  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:30:57 PM(UTC)
kimpossible

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is where I'm supposed to post but was wondering if you guys could help me. I have a GE built-in gas oven which had a weak ignitor glow so I decided to replace it with a new ignitor replacement part.

However, after replacing the 2 ignitors (bake & broil) and one temperature sensor--it still will not turn on.

I don't think it's the gas valve because first the ignitor has to glow red before the gas valve can turn on according to what I've read. But now, the ignitor doesn't glow at all so I'm not quite sure what's wrong. When I replaced the parts, I put all the wiring back in its original position and everything.

Any insight would be super helpful! Thank you in advance for all your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Baudretsch  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:21:26 PM(UTC)
Baudretsch

You wrote that you replaced the ignitor "because it had a weak glow". But it did glow. Then, either the wiring wasn't connected correctly or the new ignitor is faulty (rare, but it does happen, the older style silicon carbide ignitors are very fragile, and the smallest crack will do it).
You could try using a volt/ohm meter to first check continuity through the ignitor and, if you find that the ignitor conducts, test the power coming to the ignitor.
Good Luck
Baudretsch  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:22:59 PM(UTC)
Baudretsch

To clarify, the re-wiring may be faulty. It happens to the best of us. So check that first. Check for broken insulation shorting to the body of the oven too.
kimpossible  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:03:02 PM(UTC)
kimpossible

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm thinking it may be an issue with re-wiring so I'll give that a try again tomorrow. Thanks again!