Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billg87  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:57:14 PM(UTC)
billg87

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have a thermador SGCS304RS 30" gas cooktop with extra low. The non-xlo burners work fine. Both xlo burners have problems. One lights at full throttle, but turning it down results in shutoff. The other does not light - no gas. From reading the forum I decided to replace the xlo potentiometers. Instead of buying the expensive potentiometer kit I follwed some other advice and ordered two BSH 422748. Then I ran into the venturi problem, all of my venturis were frozen and I followed Gene's advice not to turn then too far, a good thing too. I planned to drill all of them out, so I ordered 4 venturi tubes, and two of the 12,500 btu jet holders and two 9,100 btu jet holders (BSH 189314 and BSH 414784). I finally got around to repairs today. I drilled out the venturis (oh joy) and got the top off and cleaned everything, replaced the jet holders, and then tried to replace the xlo pots. It was quickly apparent that the pots I ordered were not at all the same. I briefly thought about swapping just the PC boards but decided against it. Instead I ordered the expensive pot kit AP3872616 (497235) with comes with a new simmer control unit. I then put the stove back together trying not to tighten the venturis too much. But now the burners that used to work have LOTS of yellow in the flame, AND, the spark igniter keeps sparking even when flame on.

Regarding the yellow flame, should I replace the orifices with the originals? I notice the originals had 90 and 104 stamps, the new ones have 140 and 170, which I'd guess is diameter? Seems to be way more gas flow now.

And should I replace the spark unit to fix the continuous clicking?

Many thanks for any advice, now that I'm in deep.

Bill
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

billg87  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:35:24 PM(UTC)
billg87

Follow up. I opened it back up and replaced the orifices with the smaller ones that were there originally. And now the flames are blue and the spark igniter doesn't repeat. So now I'm back to where I started. I'm guardedly optimistic that the new pot kit will completely fix it.

Bill
billg87  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:40:05 PM(UTC)
billg87

OK, today I replaced the two extra-low potentiometers and the simmer control and fired it up. The burner that used to work only at full blast now can be turned down to the xlo range, however the xlo range doesn't seem to turn it down any further, rather it sits for a while and usually goes out. But at least it is a functional burner. The last burner is still non-functional, it won't light - no gas. I don't hear the thunk of the solenoid so I assume that's the next part to replace. Does anyone have experience with the x-lo burners?
billg87  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 7:38:50 AM(UTC)
billg87

Another followup. I did eventually order new solenoids and replaced them and amazingly, the xlo burners now work. I also figured out that when in xlo mode, the burners toggle on and off, hence the need for the solenoids. It's quite useful when simmering.
scottthefixitguy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 1:36:51 PM(UTC)
scottthefixitguy

This should help:

This video shows several ways to get them off
https://youtu.be/M2RpVF6QYtk
HeideM  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:33:57 AM(UTC)
HeideM

I have a Thermador induction cooktop CIT365GM. It worked great for five years then it started playing up. When I go to turn it on, all of the burners and the timer have a flashing ā€œEā€. I have had the technician out several times. He replaced the display panel twice. It worked for five days after the first time and three days after the second time. The technician also called technicians and neither of them know what is wrong with the cooktop. I have spent the last year dealing with this issue. Thermador does not know what is wrong with the cooktop therefore does not know how to fix it. The serial number is 000007, which makes me believe that it is the seventh one off the production line. Either they are hiding a known issue that has been fixed in newer models or they do not want to admit that they do not know what is wrong with it. I asked them to replace the cooktop because they cannot fix it. They have offered to have me pay over $2200 to replace it. Thermador is supposed to be high end and should work for more than five years.
Billy889  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:05:26 AM(UTC)
Billy889

Originally Posted by: scottthefixitguy Go to Quoted Post
This should help:

This video shows several ways to get them off
https://youtu.be/M2RpVF6QYtk

+1
UserPostedImage
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply