Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AnneM  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:46:24 AM(UTC)
AnneM

Groups: Registered

I have a GE refrigerator that freezes stuff in the freezer and refrigerator even though I have the temp control dial set to the warmest. I replaced that dial recently and no luck. When I replaced it last year, it was happy for a few months. Then I called you guys for help since I bought the new dial here. The nice guy in customer service talked to one of your refrigerator guys who said it was the thermostat. So I ordered one and it's on its way. Since about the only refrigerator repair I have even done is plugging in the new temp control dial and occasionally cleaning off the coils, I need explicit directions on how to replace this thermostat. I have searched on this site and others and they all assume you have a clue about fixing refrigerators. I have no clue. My home warranty company has been useless since they sent me the new temp control dial last year and I was on my own in replacing it. So I'd rather not spend $60 to have them tell me to replace a $9 part by myself. Please help! I can't keep eating out every day! Thanks.
Anne
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:01:08 AM(UTC)
applianceman

I will try to explain it best I can.

There is a cover at the top (sealing) of the fresh food section that is held on by screws. Remove that cover and you should be able to see the thermostat you are trying to replace. The thermostat only has two wires on it and it doesn’t matter which wires plug on which terminal.

On the thermostat there is a long capillary tube, take note where the tube goes and how it is attached in the cover because if you don’t put the new on back the same way the temperature can be drastically off. Also make sure you put the clear plastic sleeve on the new thermostat like it was on the old one. Hope this helps! Refrigerator repair guide
AnneM  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:29:59 AM(UTC)
AnneM

Thank you, thank you! If the part comes tonight, I'll see if I can do it. I'll let you know.
AnneM  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 9:03:02 AM(UTC)
AnneM

Originally Posted by: AnneM Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, thank you! If the part comes tonight, I'll see if I can do it. I'll let you know.[/q

Hi again. I got the part (WR099X10049) and it does not match what is in there now. I talked to Customer Service and they told me that what I got is the replacement part since GE no longer makes the part. Can you give me instructions on replacing the old part with this new funky one? Photos are attached.

Thanks.
Anne
AnneM attached the following image(s):
fridge 1.jpg
fridge 2.jpg
fridge 3.jpg
fridge 4.jpg
applianceman  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 9:56:27 AM(UTC)
applianceman

What is the difference between the old switch and the new switch? I have not got a picture of the new one. Also be sure to unplug the refrigerator before you attempt to change this part.
AnneM  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 10:25:00 AM(UTC)
AnneM

Weird you can't see them since they show up on my last email to you. I will try sending them in a different response. Can I email them to you if that doesn't work?

Thanks.
Anne
AnneM  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 10:26:33 AM(UTC)
AnneM

How to replace the motor drive coupling.doc (25kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

Ice and water dispenser.doc (435kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Dishwasher_motor_leak.jpg

IMG_9203.JPG
fridge 1.jpg
fridge 2.jpg
fridge 3.jpg
fridge 4.jpg
applianceman  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 1:56:24 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Maybe I am confused I see the pictures you sent but I assumed they were all of the old part still on. Since I do not know what the new one looks like how is it different from your old one? Are these pictures of the old one or new one?
AnneM  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 2:45:55 PM(UTC)
AnneM

Hi the pictures are of the old one on now. The new one has a round silver cylinder like the old one, but the new one is taller. It has a clip on the side like to clip it onto a shelf. It has an orange and yellow wire coming out if it. It is just alot less complicated than the one there now, so I couldn't figure out where all the wires, metal rod and hose go on this new one.

Does this make sense? Appliances are not my thing obviously.

Thanks.
AnneM  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 2:50:41 PM(UTC)
AnneM

This new part is way too different from the old one for me to figure it out.
new part.jpg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply