Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
greenchair  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:12:20 AM(UTC)
greenchair

Groups: Registered

Bearings and seals are pretty standard. Drop into a place that sells bearings. The will match yours by number or by measuring them with a vernier. The should also have a seal also that will probably be better quality than the one you removed.

You may have the option of brand name or "offshore" bearings. I went with the more expensive option as I had the money for em.
Rogero  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:50:08 AM(UTC)
Rogero

the problem is I don't have any place reasonably close that sells bearings. I was hoping to be able to get a kit (with both bearings and the seal) online.
greenchair  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:20:59 AM(UTC)
greenchair

I am guessing you want the bearings on hand before you take your rig apart. Is that correct?

I will dig around but can't now at work.

Why do you think it needs bearings? Is it making squealing noises or jumping up and down..etc...
Rogero  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:34:02 PM(UTC)
Rogero

I had grease all over the last load of laundry and it was spinning at high speed and then started making a heck of a racket. It was like something 'let go' while it was spinning. Now the motor can not turn the drum. I can turn it by hand (with the belt off) but it's difficult.
I'm going to disassemble and see what I have.
greenchair  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:18:16 PM(UTC)
greenchair

If your washer is over 3 years old you may find that the spider gear is corroded through. Taking the washer apart is a big job but there are some good guides to help you do it.

I replaced mine last year and spent some extra time grinding and polishing the spider gear casting and then had it powder coated to try and make it last better.

If your is no broken you should still check it out for cracks when you change the bearings.
Rogero  
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:43:37 PM(UTC)
Rogero

Thanks for the heads up, I'll post what I find.
Rogero  
#17 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2009 5:26:15 PM(UTC)
Rogero

It was the spider and shaft part on the back of the inner drum, not the bearings. It was completely rotted and 2 of the 3 vains were broken. There was all kinds of rust and metal stuff falling out when I took the housing apart. The rust and metal stuff must be what I saw on the last load. I read somewhere (maybe another forum) that the drums are warranted for 5 years, now all I have to do is figure out when this one was manufactured. I think a call/email to Frigidare is next.
It wasn't that difficult to pull apart (can't say how difficult it will be to put back together) so I think I'll replace the bearings while I have it apart, if I can find new bearings or a bearing kit. Does anyone have bearing kit info?
gaterman  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:23:31 AM(UTC)
gaterman

Rogero,
i will be replacing bearings as well. I just ordered the set from Sears here in Canada. I have seen some instructions on replacing the drum but am wondering if i have to take the whole thing apart like that to replace the bearings or if I can do it from the back of the machine. i think the whole drum must be removed. fingers crossed
gaterman  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:25:42 AM(UTC)
gaterman

Originally Posted by: Rogero Go to Quoted Post
It was the spider and shaft part on the back of the inner drum, not the bearings. It was completely rotted and 2 of the 3 vains were broken. There was all kinds of rust and metal stuff falling out when I took the housing apart. The rust and metal stuff must be what I saw on the last load. I read somewhere (maybe another forum) that the drums are warranted for 5 years, now all I have to do is figure out when this one was manufactured. I think a call/email to Frigidare is next.
It wasn't that difficult to pull apart (can't say how difficult it will be to put back together) so I think I'll replace the bearings while I have it apart, if I can find new bearings or a bearing kit. Does anyone have bearing kit info?

order part number "bearing kit P# 285203" from Sears at 1 800 469-4663 5 day delivery. 58.99$CAD plus 6.95$ shipped to my home in Toronto. I fugured that was cheaper than driving to Rexdale to pick them up!
gaterman  
#20 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 1:12:07 PM(UTC)
gaterman

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
For your info. they still sell a bearing kit P# 285203 at about $40, a lot cheaper than $103 plus $25 shipping. However, it is a big job removing and installing the bearings.

these are not the correct bearings for this unit!!!! I ordered them and they are for a different machine!
now i am stuck with 20% restock fee and i have missed 4 days of washing machine. Oh well I blame myself for blindly following./ Lesson learned check before you jump!