Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Replacement  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 8:27:37 AM(UTC)
Replacement

Groups: Registered

***EDIT***
The model # is DV219AGW/XAA

I bought a washer and dryer from Sears outlet last year and finally got around to installing them recently. Washer works awesome but the dryer is gas and smells like there is a gas leak. Even when the dryer is not running it has a gas smell, I want to say it is worse when it is running but I didn't leave the gas on too long to figure out when it smelled worse. I used a new flexible gas supply line and I soaped the all of the connections going to the dryer.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the dryer and that may or may not be why it was at the outlet store. Both appliances looked brand new but I don't really know the history on them.

What should I be looking for to solve this issue? I'm thinking the gas valve in the dryer is bad.

Any help would be very appreciated!

It also smelled like gas inside the dryer when it was connected to the gas and I was testing it and It did get hot.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Ted/APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 11:39:17 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hi . As you know first shut off the gas valve. Then get inside and double check where the supply pipe is connected at the gas valve part # [AP3845027]. There is a yellow gas tape or a gas thread paste (thermactor brand) you need to buy and use on all pipe threads. You need to insure the Gas valve cap is tight and converted to the correct type (lp or nat). Do this all throughout the complete house gas supply going to the Dryer. Inspect that you do not cross thread the threads. Use bubble gas and double check the lines as you mentioned before. Then once all is satisfied about being good with no leaks, then you need to wipe off all excess drips. Thank You.

Originally Posted by: Replacement Go to Quoted Post
***EDIT***
The model # is DV219AGW/XAA

I bought a washer and dryer from Sears outlet last year and finally got around to installing them recently. Washer works awesome but the dryer is gas and smells like there is a gas leak. Even when the dryer is not running it has a gas smell, I want to say it is worse when it is running but I didn't leave the gas on too long to figure out when it smelled worse. I used a new flexible gas supply line and I soaped the all of the connections going to the dryer.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the dryer and that may or may not be why it was at the outlet store. Both appliances looked brand new but I don't really know the history on them.

What should I be looking for to solve this issue? I'm thinking the gas valve in the dryer is bad.

Any help would be very appreciated!

It also smelled like gas inside the dryer when it was connected to the gas and I was testing it and It did get hot.
Replacement  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 3:35:50 PM(UTC)
Replacement

Where can I find a service manual that shows how to get to the gas valve in the dryer?
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 3:38:59 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

I could not locate a service manual for this model dryer.

I will do some asking around. If you find one please consider sharing it with me. :)
Replacement  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:26:07 AM(UTC)
Replacement

I found a you tube video on how to open up the front panel. As soon as I get some time I will be checking for leaks inside the dryer.
Replacement  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:55:32 AM(UTC)
Replacement

I opened it up and everything seems good and tight, not sure where to go from here...
Ted/APP Team  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 5:31:32 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hi. Use bubble leak detctor Part number: AP3766089
Part number: AP3766089
on all gas lines at all the connectors. Snug the connections while using 2- wrenches. Use one to firmly hold the device that the connector is connected to.Then the 2nd wrench on the connector itself. Then check with the bubble soap for leaks and shown bubbles. Do this at all connections coming from the wall behind the unit and the unit shut off valve behind the unit. Check the unit pressure regulator connections. Then Replace the flex line from the saftey valve to the back of the unit. Carefully coil the flex line so it has an accoriding effect when you push the unit back in. The original line may have a issue and need replaced. Be sure to wipe all soap off the connections after reapplying gas supply. Let us know what you find and if we can assist you further. Thank You.
HerbG  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:17:21 PM(UTC)
HerbG

We smell gas when opening our 24-year-old Whirlpool dryer after it has been on. Is this likely to be a connection, valve, coil, or what? We'll try the soap test on the gas line but suspect that's okay. Is it worth repairing if it's the valve? The dryer still dries well, though it rumbles loudly and we are considering replacing the rollers and shafts, which seems to be a minor cost if the gas valve isn't a problem.
Ted/APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2012 6:30:00 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hi. We first need your model # to get you the correct part #'s. If the dryer cabinet is still in good shape and the overall consideration of shopping and replacing the unit -vs- part replacement is under 50% total replacement cost, then it is worth repair (parts availability consideration as well). The new gas valve should come with the coils as well. A new ignitor, belt and rollers (thumping noise) will help as well. Thank You.

Originally Posted by: HerbG Go to Quoted Post
We smell gas when opening our 24-year-old Whirlpool dryer after it has been on. Is this likely to be a connection, valve, coil, or what? We'll try the soap test on the gas line but suspect that's okay. Is it worth repairing if it's the valve? The dryer still dries well, though it rumbles loudly and we are considering replacing the rollers and shafts, which seems to be a minor cost if the gas valve isn't a problem.
HerbG  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2012 11:53:30 AM(UTC)
HerbG

Originally Posted by: Ted/APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi. We first need your model # to get you the correct part #'s. If the dryer cabinet is still in good shape and the overall consideration of shopping and replacing the unit -vs- part replacement is under 50% total replacement cost, then it is worth repair (parts availability consideration as well). The new gas valve should come with the coils as well. A new ignitor, belt and rollers (thumping noise) will help as well. Thank You.

Thanks, Ted.
As it turns out I think the gas problem is okay. The gas smell never happened again, and we went ahead with the replacement of the right roller which helped the noisy situation considerably, and we also have the inside a good cleaning. The gas valve seems to work fine and the flame is strong. The left roller, however was a problem--I couldn't figure out how to get the tinnerman (?) clip off since it is so tight against the triangle clip, and there is still a "ch-ch-ch-ch" noise (about 10x per drum revolution). The left roller looks okay but could that sound be from a slight invisible wearing of the roller? Or could it be the felt bearing around the front of the drum? Otherwise the dryer is still working fine and heats well.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply