Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zadison  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 12:40:04 PM(UTC)
Zadison

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore toploading washer agitates while filling and then fills while spinning.
At the start of the wash cycle, as it's filling with water, the washer will agitate. It then goes through every cycle of the wash and works fine until the spin cycle. During the spin cycle, it will start filling with water. The water will drain out at the same time but when the spin cycle is finished, the clothes are still very wet. I have to start the spin cycle again and turn off the water at the source in order to get the clothes dry.
Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:20:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If it stops filling when unplugged, check the plastic hose to the water level switch, might have soap deposits at the bottom of the tub partially clogging it. Just blow it out and add vinegar to the tub.
joekecc  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 12:56:07 PM(UTC)
joekecc

I have a Whirlpool washer model WTW57ESVW0, which is probably the same washer as Kenmore 11029822800 since Whirlpool also makes the Kenmore models for Sears. My wife had the same exact problems as what you described, so after doing some research on the internet I narrowed down the problem to two parts, auto-sensing switch or timer control. I called Whirlpool (800-253-1301) and ordered them, auto-sensing switch (part# W10292584 which is replacement of W10177795 which is discontinued) and timer control (part# W10177827) for $26.30 total at 75% off, plus $8.99 Fedex shipping and $2.12 PA sales tax for a grand total of $37.41. The original part costs were $65.62 and $39.60 respectively. I took the control panel off following the video from YouTube - Open Whirlpool WTW57ESVW Washer Cover and first tried the replacement timer and it made no difference, i.e. it still agitated immediately while filling and it filled at the end of spin cycle but only on the normal wash cycle which is on the top half. The agitation problem exists on all wash cycles except for the handwash option, but the filling problem at the end of spin cycle existed only for the normal wash cycle and not on any of the other 3 wash cycles. Then, I put the old timer back on and tried the replacement auto-sensing switch and that fixed the problem. I should have known that was the problem because when I was ordering the parts on the phone, the woman from Whirlpool told me they had over two thousand of the auto-sensing switches in stock and when I heard that I was thinking to myself "I don't know how many of these washers they sold, but that part must break a lot to keep that many in stock." I don't know how long ago the original auto-sensing parts were initially manufactured, but the Whirlpool parts website says that it's discontinued, so that only leads me to believe the original part wasn't very reliable.

doubleA  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:20:18 PM(UTC)
doubleA

Hi Joe,

thanks for the help - I also saw your post on another forum & feel pretty good about moving forward w/ buying the auto-sensing switch since my washer is having the exact same issues: pre-mature agitation & filling @ end of spin cycle.

I wanted to ask: once I get the control panel off (following the YouTube video) how difficult is it to locate & replace the switch? Will it be self-explanatory & visible? I'm hoping so... I don't want to pay $100-ish to have someone come out when I feel like you've already solved the problem for me.

thanks again - and please let me know how I can find more info locating & replacing that W1029584 switch when you get a moment.

aa
joekecc  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:04:26 AM(UTC)
joekecc

You can download the parts documentation from Whirlpool from the link below which shows where the auto-sensing part is located.

http://shared.whirlpoolc...List%20-%20W10222396.pdf

It's the whole piece behind the Fabric Softener dial which is the third dial from the left and it's held in place by a small platic tab without any screws. The auto-sensing part is not covered and it's visible once you have the control panel loose so you can look behind it. My old switch's plastic tab broke off when I was taking it off, but luckily it didn't matter since it was defective. You should be careful when putting the new part back on so the tab doesn't break off like it did on my old part.

I had to do something else before I put the washer back together. I had to tighten the screws (part #18) shown on pages 1 and 2 in the pdf documentation above, because one of them was almost all the way out and one already fell off. Either they came loose because of vibrations or my washer already had a service done prior to us purchasing the home this past June. If it's the latter, then whoever did the service did a crappy job since the control panel wasn't even locked in properly on the right side, i.e. one of the wiggly metal pieces wasn't in place to hold the control panel to the top.

Good luck with your repair.
Zadison  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:24:18 PM(UTC)
Zadison

Thanks for the information. I'm the original poster of this question/problem. My problem went away on its own but now it's back. Our situations seem to be the same except my washer does not have an auto-sensing switch (at least I don't think it does) so I don't think that's the problem/solution.

Here's the latest...

After no problems for about 6 months my washer started acting up again. The washer will start to agitate immediately as it is filling with water at the beginning of the cycle. It goes through the cycles fine (although sometimes the timer will click quickly 2 or 3 times between cycles) and then when it reaches the spin cycle the washer will continue to fill with water until the spin cyle ends.

I took the washer apart and blew through the water level hose, it didn't seem to be clogged. I also took off the timer and cleaned the contacts with cleaner and compressed air. I put everything back together and it worked....for about a week!

Now it's doing the same thing again.

Any idea what the problem and solution might be?

Thanks
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:27:35 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would try the 1/2 gallon of vinegar in the tub to clear out soap residue. You can also force some down the plastic tube with a turkey baster.
Zadison  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:05:33 PM(UTC)
Zadison

okay...I'll try that, but I think I'll wait until my wife's not around, she'll think I'm crazy and ask too many questions!
Zadison  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:27:20 PM(UTC)
Zadison

I tried the vinegar with the turkey baster...didn't work. I also checked the tube again and it was clear.

I still have the same problem: agitates while filling, fills with water (and drains at the same time) during the spin cycle.

Help!
richappy  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 12:50:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would pull the plastic tube from the tub and blow in it. Water level switch should make a clicking sound. If not, you have welded contacts in it. If it clicks, in now might work.If not, replace it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply