Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Albert M.  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:54:06 AM(UTC)
Albert M.

Groups: Registered

On this refrigerator, I have replaced the defrost heater, defrost T-stat, and also the main control board. After a week went by, the refrigerator evaporator was icing up again and not cooling properly. I did some continuity checks, looked for loose connections but found no problems. I did notice while having the freezer section disassembled, there were two thermistor sensors near the evaporator. One sensor was ID on the diagram as #241-it was clamped on the evaporator suction line. I could not locate the other sensor on the diagram but it is located in the bottom left corner of the freezer compartment and seems to sense the air near the bottom of freezer. Does these sensors have to do with the defrost cycle?? If so, how do you replace them??:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:43:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello Albert,

In order to provide the most accurate advise I need the complete model number of the refrigerator.

Gene.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:24:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The pros recommend you replace the freezer fan motor and thermistor at the same time, they come as a kit.
Albert M.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:14:56 AM(UTC)
Albert M.

Gene and richappy,

The make and model is as follows: GE model: GSS25JFMBWW
Please note that the freezer fan motor works fine.
Albert M.  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:23:02 AM(UTC)
Albert M.

The make and model is as follows: GE model: GSS25JFMBWW
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:30:57 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely the problem is the evaporator thermistor.
You can find the part location in the attached service manual (pages 55 & 60).

- The part number for the evaporator (and all other) thermistor is
AP3185407

In order to replace it just cut off the old one and install the new thermistor using a wire nuts.

Good luck.
Gene.
File Attachment(s):
PSS and GSS refrigerators service manual.pdf (1,717kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
jamesbruins  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:05:40 PM(UTC)
jamesbruins

Hello. This is my first post on this site, but thanks to you guys, I just fixed my GE dryer yesterday from posts on this very site. Thanks for the money saver! Ok. On to the refridgerator problems. I too have a GE model: GSS25JFMBWW, and am having problems. I just back from a year in Iraq, and my wife said the fridge side was room temp. and the freezer side managed to maintain cool (not cold) We have no food on the fridge side, and things that need to stay cold in the freezer side. I just got done taking the fridge apart, and noticed that that the defrost thermostat had a gap in the plastic (that holds the pink and orange wires) and the metal. The gap had brown burn marks and one side of the thermostat wires broke off the terminal where it was soldered. In reading the forum and other online help, I also checked the defrost heater. I noticed a half melted/burned zip tie hanging from under the heater. I removed the defrost heater. I inspected the heater bulb and the whole thing is black. The ends appear to burned (as when a light bulb burns out).
Am I wrong in thinking that this is basically like a light bulb? Or is the thermostat heater supposed to be black?
I am about to order a new thermostat and defrost heater. Is there anything else I should look into replacing? Do these heaters need to be replaced from time to time? Or is there a possibility that there are further electrical problems that maybe caused a short to fry these items?
Please help. We are living out of two tiny college refridgerators, and are on an obvious small budget. I would gain some serious brownie points with the wife if I can get this fridge up and running the right way soon! Thanks!!

Jim
richappy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:45:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I assume your freezer coils where all frozen up from top to bottom. If so, just install a new defrost heater and thermostat plus a new freezer thermistor and everything will be ok. Post back in a week if it gets frosted over again.
jamesbruins  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:46:13 AM(UTC)
jamesbruins

Thanks Richappy. Yes, there was frost from top to bottom. Looking at the new defrost heater, I can definately see that the bulb is supposed to be clear and not black, like mine was when I removed it.
I ordered the 3 parts yesterday and am waiting the delivery by Fedex. I appreciate the help! I will post back either way. I am hoping this takes care of the problem.
Zig  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:46:55 AM(UTC)
Zig

Jim, I have the same model and had exactly the same problem as yours. I only replaced the heater and 2 weeks later the frost is back. It seems that I now need to replace the thermostat and the thermistor. Before I order the parts, 'd like to hear from you if you have fixed yours? Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply