Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beebs  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:49:00 PM(UTC)
beebs

Groups: Registered

Our 20 year old Maytag LDE 7500 finally needs TLC. I've got all the necessary parts and will begin my rebuild tomorrow am. I'll be replacing the drum rollers, roller axles, idler pulley, belt, front "saddle" bearing pads, blower seal and both felt drum seals. When I'm done, she oughta run for another 20 years.

My question is about the two felt drum seals. Never replaced them before. The original looks to have a tab or lip that clips under the little metal tabs in the bulkhead. No adhesive anywhere, except on the spot where the felt overlaps itself as the ends join. The NEW felt seals are just strips of felt. No "tab" or "lip" to slide under the metal tabs of the bulkhead. Will the seal just naturally form to the proper shape as I install it, or will I need to put a 'crease' in it to make it fit under the tabs?

Maybe I'm overthinking, but I'd rather check with people who know than go off blind. I know how to do everything else, but this one thing I'm wonderin'. Thanks for any help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

beebs  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 6:23:27 PM(UTC)
beebs

For anyone interested, especially those with an older Maytag dryer that needs TLC, here is my extensive rebuild diary. Hope that this helps someone else. Enjoy.

Here's to ANOTHER 20 years!
denman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:20:03 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
This is a great illustrated overhaul essay.
Thank you for sharing it.

I hope you do not mind but I am going to suggest that it be turned into a STICKY.

denman
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
beebs  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 6:30:05 AM(UTC)
beebs

I don't mind at all...I'd be honored! Many thanks for your kind words.
ApplianceJunk  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:29:38 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

beebs, Hope you still monitor this topic.

Great job and a awesome webpage you created.

I would like to include your images in our Photo Gallery if you don't mind.

I would be happy to link back to your page from each photo we use and/or give you credit some other way if you would like.

Please let me know what you think, thanks.
beebs  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:27:28 PM(UTC)
beebs

Originally Posted by: ApplianceJunk Go to Quoted Post
beebs, Hope you still monitor this topic.

Great job and a awesome webpage you created.

I would like to include your images in our Photo Gallery if you don't mind.

I would be happy to link back to your page from each photo we use and/or give you credit some other way if you would like.

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Hi, and sorry it took me so long to see this!

If you would please link each pic to the original page I put up, I'd appreciate it...I'd like the text and pics to stay together as much as possible.

And it looks like we've had some spammers fly thru recently! Sorry dawgs!
ApplianceJunk  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:39:20 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

beebs,

That sounds great, thanks!
I may put the gallery together this weekend and will included a link with each photo.

Until then I have shared your webpage on our Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/appliancejunk

Once again, nice job!
beebs  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 2:19:37 PM(UTC)
beebs

Originally Posted by: dersd00 Go to Quoted Post

:DUserPostedImage

Um...not sure I understand the purpose of your post!:confused:
beebs  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:13:17 PM(UTC)
beebs

Hey Admin guys! Looks like several spam posts have been made to this particular thread, and I guess I'm takin' it personal! :confused:

Is there any way we can get rid of all these extraneous posts by itgz00067, elijah025, cliff02, dersd00, here? (also my perplexed reply to one spammer, which I didn't realize was a spammer until the other posts showed up).

Thanks!

beebs
swong  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 11:00:44 AM(UTC)
swong

Like yourselfI also perform repairs and preventative maintenace on most of my own home appliances. Ordered replacement parts from this website and while I am waiting for delivery of said parts I've been entertaining myself completing research and stumbled upon your pictures. Only difference between your Maytag Dryer is mine is gas versus electric. Upon reading/viewing your content I just had to enroll then thank you for your detailed presentation reconditioning your dryer. My Maytag Dryer is a 32 year old model DG608 gas dryer and is 90% identical in layout. What amazes me is I am still on original parts until this past week when wife informed me washed load of clothes was still wet. Observations from lookout door shows ignitor glowing bright red but no gas. Youtube videos along with forum visits indicate either flame sensor or the 3 gas valve solenoids. My best is the flame sensor since a cursory look clearly showed a broken tab off the flame sensor. Chasing down parts on a 30 year old dryer is usually "feast to famine" hence I ordered both flame sensor and gas solenoid kits from two different vendors. I normally purchase via ******** but as mentioned parts availability runs "feast to famine" so when I could track down needed parts I hesitatingly then purchase retail via the web. BTW, I also had the matching Maytag washer but ended up tossing the washer when I couldn't source parts at a reasonable cost. Repairs on a 30 year old washer comes down to cost, difficulty along with availability of replacement parts. Tossed washer when cost of parts was more than price of a new washer...in this case a timer and motor made it easier to purchase a new washer. Very disappointed with build, quality of parts, and reliability with what I see now.

Thursday, May12th....35 year old Maytag model DG608 now fully functional once again. During the course of diagnosing/troubleshooting I broke off one leg of the flame sensor. Placed order for oem flame sensor from this web site. Research via youtube videos identified the possibility of this being a suspect part for a "no heat" condition hence I waited until flame sensor was delivered. AppliancepartPro.com delivered flame sensor , I then installed flame sensor however "no heat" condition was still present. Ordered a complete 3-solenoid kit, waited an additional 72 hours until delivery, installed just two of the 3 solenoids , i.e., holding and booster coils leaving the remaining largest coil for last. There is now joy but more importantly dry clothes in our household. FYI, my 35 year old model DG608 dryer has the old style 3 solenoid gas valve versus the newer 2-solenoid style gas valve sold on this web site....balked at having to pay $142 for this complete gas valve versus hence purchased just the 3 individual solenoids. Build quality and design of these older Maytag Dryers are a pure joy come time to repair. A lot of thought was put into the design of these very old Maytag Dryers. Thickness of the covers, solidness of the parts, fit and finish perfect unlike the junk Maytag now puts out. Downside being it's getting harder and harder to chase down parts.

UserPostedImage