Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kencc@bellsouth.net  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:05:06 PM(UTC)
kencc@bellsouth.net

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore brand, cooktop with either a preasure regulator or gas valve problem. The Model number is JGP336AEV. When I turn any control knob to the light position, I can hear the sparker or igniter clicking but there is no gas flowing. I thought it might be one of the gas valves but there is no gas flow to any of the four gas burners. Range is gas operated and it is still working fine so I know it's not a gas issue. I can only assume that the regulator has failed or cloged up. Any help out there? Thanks. Ken:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 10:23:56 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

You mentioned a cook top and range, but they should have their own gas connections. If you don't have gas to any of the cook top burners, I would suspect either the gas has been shut off at the connection to the house, or the regulator has become blocked. Not very likely, but it is possible. There is no shut off inside the cook top other than the individual burner valves, so you may need to have a look at the gas connection and make sure it is still on.
kencc@bellsouth.net  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 1:45:15 PM(UTC)
kencc@bellsouth.net

Your correct Brian, there one supply line coming in then it branches off to three separate gas feeds; one to the range, one to the Broiler, and one to the cooktop. It's only the cooktop that fails to get gas. I have spoken to a few "technicians" (might as well have been rocket scientists) and there is no general consensus between the useless bunch. :rolleyes: I will replace the pressure regulator and let you know. :)
TechnicianBrian  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 2:07:00 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Sounds good. You may want to remove the regulator and see if you get gas up to that point. It is rare for a regulator to fail in the off position, so you may want to do some further investigation before replacing a part.
kencc@bellsouth.net  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 4:44:47 PM(UTC)
kencc@bellsouth.net

Well how about another news update. :o Boy do I hate built in ranges! :mad: And guess what, it’s a gas cooktop, electric range and electric broiler! :rolleyes: Boy do those electrical conduits look a lot like a gas line when you have to use a mirror and a flashlight to see. And why didn’t you tell me I only had to remove 4 stupid little screws to remove the range, not disassemble it like I almost did. :eek: (Imagine wife hanging over shoulder saying: “And what are those screws for?”) (I’m going to hear about that goof for a year or more.) Well I got the gas valve exposed, turned it off, removed the cooktop and turned the gas on.. No flow from the pressure regulator. Then I removed the pressure regulator and could smell gas in the line. Problem solved. :DGot the part on order, too bad we won’t be able to cook on the cooktop for the whole Memorial Day weekend! (I do all the cooking.) :cool: Thanks again!
TechnicianBrian  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 4:54:36 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

At least it more satisfying to know you have the right part on order, than hope you have the right part on order. Good work.
kencc@bellsouth.net  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 6:15:35 PM(UTC)
kencc@bellsouth.net

Final note, pressure regulator replacement solved my problem and once reassembled the cook top works great. Now I wonder if you might have a moment to answer my next little problem! http://forum.appliancepartspros...my-hands.html#post114151

Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply