Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richappy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:43:35 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good news for both of us.
sarmoby  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:13:15 PM(UTC)
sarmoby

Groups: Registered

Hi all-
Problem: Spin basket slid down spin tube shaft, no spin condition.

Unit is dissasembled and the following was found:
The end of the basket drive shaft had one of the two vertical tabs bent with the adjacent shaft seal full of metallic grit(also found inside the dasher/lower agitator).
From the excellant diagrams on the site I cannot determine the following:
1. Is there a coupler that sits between the #16 and #18 in this link? Agitator, basket and tub parts replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL MTW5740TQ0 Automatic Washer | AppliancePartsPros.com
It would be about where itm #14 is shown in this link http://www.appliancepartspros.c...=5139174&NewWindow=1
If not, why is the end of the shaft milled with two tabs?
2. How do you set the spin basket height relative to the top of the the basket drive shaft if this is only held by a clamp fit onto the basket drive shaft (no thrust washer to support the spin basket)? It must not hit the lower seal or the plastic tank( which it was starting to hit).
3. I saw mention of the brake drag issue which I think is true in this case and will check it/mill the brake shoes. When spinning the transmission by hand it is diffcult to turn the spin basket(alot of force).
4. I have removed the spin basket drive shaft and only a small amount of oil was present. This could indicate that the top shaft seal lost oil which coated the shaft, casuig the basket to slide down.
5. Could you please describe the coupler you mentioned that connects the spin basket and drive block to the basket drive shaft? I have nothing other than a nylon washer with up/down drive dogs above the basket drive shaft ( i suspect a part disintegrated there).

thank you for the help
Scott
richappy  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:39:20 PM(UTC)
richappy

You need a new drive block Part number: AP2905773
Part number: AP2905773
and the special spanner wrench mentioned in my sticky. This will enable you to tighten the drive block nut properly.
sarmoby  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:46:50 PM(UTC)
sarmoby

Rich-
I just zoomed into the drive block photo and realized that the top of the Spin tube are supposed to go into those grooves ont he drive block. It appears that most of the grooves are ground off my drive block and are scattered around the machine seal and agitator. What oil should I put in to replace the missing oil in the spin tube shaft housing( only got a few drops out of it)?

The brake pads/ are tight on this unit as well so I will follow your sticky suggestions.

There appears to be no out-of-balance switch on this machine as it will bang on an un-balance.

Parts are on order from you folks so we will see what I can do with it.
thanks again
Scott
richappy  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:43:23 PM(UTC)
richappy

In my sticky, I mentioned a zoom spout oiler with a part #. This oil is for the spin tube. To reduce shaking in spin, I add a 6 inch spring to the back one. This spring should be a heavier spring than the one on there, any will do, if too short, you can add a piece of coathanger wire to extend it.
sarmoby  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:36:19 PM(UTC)
sarmoby

Thanks Rich-
Scott
richappy  
#17 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 12:13:11 AM(UTC)
richappy

Good, keep us informed on progress.
jbunke  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:12:03 PM(UTC)
jbunke

I believe I have the same problem with my Amana Model alw480daw . The belt burn through so I bought a new one and replaced it. I put in a small load. It ran through the wash cycle fine. When it go to the spin cycle, the motor turned but not the belt. I would have burned through the new belt If I had not stopped it
I would like to know If I will need specia tools for this model
richappy  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:17:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

Very common for the tub bearings to go out on this washer, generally not worth fixing, requires special tools with a gear puller and the parts are expensive. If you want to fix this, repost a new thread.
richappy  
#20 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:02:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

You can do the tranny coupler test mentioned. If sometimes the brakes release and sometimes they don't, you have sticking brake shoes. If hard to turn, you have serious jaming brake shoes, something stuck in the tub, or a broken comb filter on the bottom of the spin basket.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply