Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kennewickman  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:01:33 PM(UTC)
kennewickman

Groups: Registered

Maytag A5000 Washer. Able to rotate Pulley and transmission. Agitator seems to be seized to drum; Caused belt to fry. Replaced belt but motor unable to start the agitator.

Does this involve replacement of the transmission? or am I misdiagnosing?

Is this worth repairing? Estimated cost? What parts are required? Can I do it myself?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:11:07 PM(UTC)
applianceman

[FONT='Times New Roman']Will it spin? [/FONT]
kennewickman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:18:39 PM(UTC)
kennewickman

Originally Posted by: applianceman Go to Quoted Post
[FONT='Times New Roman']Will it spin? [/FONT]

Can turn pulley and transmission by hand, seems to cause both drum and agitator to rotate. Motor was unable to initiate agitation (i.e., motor hum) during trial wash cycle. Removed drive belt, advanced timer to pump out water; so motor and pump working normally.
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:32:00 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The motor is mounted on rollers if its unable to move back and forth freely on the rollers it may have trouble starting. If you were able to rotate the tub by hand easily both ways I would look at it as being more of a motor problem. Also the pump belt could be too tight this will prevent the motor from starting but I wouldn’t think it would turn the pump by itself as you describe.
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/Maytag-washer.html
kennewickman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:52:37 PM(UTC)
kennewickman

Motor appear to move back and forth easily. New belts went on easily and don't appear to be excessively tight. Agitator seems to be seized to drum. Noted that the agitator is very hard to turn from the inside the drum. Should it freewheel (or at least move independently) from the drum?
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:39:08 AM(UTC)
applianceman

[FONT='Times New Roman']When you turn the pulley on the transmission one way the tub, transmission and agitator should move together. Then when you turn the transmission the other way the agitator should move independently. No the agitator shouldn’t be easy to turn because you are trying to turn the gears in the transmission. I don’t think the agitator is stuck to the tub but I have seen strange things. I know I already mention this but the pump belt has got to be loose for the motor to start.[/FONT]
applianceman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:47:25 AM(UTC)
applianceman

[FONT='Times New Roman']The transmission gears may be stuck but I work on a lot of these models (two laundry mats full) and this doesn’t happen. I am not saying that it can’t happen but I have never seen it. I have seen this on some of the older models with the flat transmission but the diagram shows that yours has the round transmission. So I am trying to come up with other possibilities before we condemn the transmission. [/FONT]
kennewickman  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 7:34:33 AM(UTC)
kennewickman

[FONT='Times New Roman']The transmission gears may be stuck but I work on a lot of these models (two laundry mats full) and this doesn’t happen. I am not saying that it can’t happen but I have never seen it. I have seen this on some of the older models with the flat transmission but the diagram shows that yours has the round transmission. So I am trying to come up with other possibilities before we condemn the transmission. [/FONT]

Still trying to id the problem. From the top of the unit, the agitator does non seem to have any movement independent from the drum. As such, although I can rotate it, it requires quite a bit of torque. I was considering trying to remove the agitator, but I'm not sure how to do that.
applianceman  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 2:37:53 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Trying to turn the agitator from the top will not tell you anything either will trying to turn the tub from the top. The transmission gears will stop the agitator from turning from the top and the brakes are holding the tub in place making it hard to turn both from the top. What you need to do is to lean the washer over and try to turn the transmission pulley. It should turn easily both ways. Turn it clockwise, the brakes will release and the transmission, agitator and the tub will turn together. Turn it counter clockwise and the brakes will stay engaged and the agitator should turn independently. If this doesn’t happen the problem is in the transmission or the brakes. Post back and tell what happens when you do this.

[FONT='Times New Roman']The agitator has a setscrew that will allow you to remove it.[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'] Also I though about the post I made about your washer having the round transmission and decided that just because the parts breakdown shows the round transmission doesn’t mean your washer has the round transmission. So you may have the transmission that the gears locked up sometimes. But the test I told you to do above should tell the tale on if the transmission is locked or not. [/FONT]
kennewickman  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:15:36 PM(UTC)
kennewickman

Trying to turn the agitator from the top will not tell you anything either will trying to turn the tub from the top. The transmission gears will stop the agitator from turning from the top and the brakes are holding the tub in place making it hard to turn both from the top. What you need to do is to lean the washer over and try to turn the transmission pulley. It should turn easily both ways. Turn it clockwise, the brakes will release and the transmission, agitator and the tub will turn together. Turn it counter clockwise and the brakes will stay engaged and the agitator should turn independently. If this doesn’t happen the problem is in the transmission or the brakes. Post back and tell what happens when you do this.

[FONT='Times New Roman']The agitator has a setscrew that will allow you to remove it.[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'] Also I though about the post I made about your washer having the round transmission and decided that just because the parts breakdown shows the round transmission doesn’t mean your washer has the round transmission. So you may have the transmission that the gears locked up sometimes. But the test I told you to do above should tell the tale on if the transmission is locked or not. [/FONT]

Thanks for your response.

Turning it clockwise, it turns easily (it's spring loaded so the movement lags behind the pulley). Transmission, drum and agitator all turn.

Turning it counter-clockwise, it turns but requires more force. No spring loading so the pulley seems to be locked to transmission, drum and agitator all turn. Transmission, drum and agitator all turn. From your description it soulds like transmission or the brake is locking things up.

By the way, the transmission (is shaped like a sideways mounted funnel) is of the type shown in the drawing referenced below .
Replacement parts for MAYTAG A5000 | AppliancePartsPros.com

What do you think?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply