Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horizons59  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 9:11:25 AM(UTC)
Horizons59

Groups: Registered

Thanks to Gene on this board I think I correctly identified a bad control board on my double whirlpool oven. I removed the old one and most of the connectors are simple. However, the ribbon cable from the keypad is delicate and has no connector. The connector receptacle on the control board has a tab on each side. I'm assuming these tabs open the pin connectors inside the connector body to allow the ribbon cable to be easily inserted and then tighten when the tabs are released.

However, whether I press down or press the tabs together towards the connector body, I see no movement in the connect pin connections inside the connector.

I am afraid to force the ribbon cable in as I might damage the frail ribbon cable and then I would need to buy the keypad replacement.

Any ideas on how to properly insert the ribbon cable from the keypad into the control board? Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 2:10:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The little black frame on top of the connector should come up to release the ribbon cable. It should be in the upper position while you inset the ribbon cable into the connector. The ribbon cable has to go all the way into the connector to provide full and reliable connection. After you finish it, the locking frame should be pushed in.

Gene.
Horizons59  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:40:45 PM(UTC)
Horizons59

Thanks Gene. Got the control board and the ribbon cable in, powered up the oven and the error codes are gone. However, not all of the buttons are responding so I am thinking that there might be some settings required when you plug in a brand new control board. Is there a service manual or somewhere you can point me to get the control board configured properly? Thanks in advance.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:24:48 PM(UTC)
Gene

The Tech sheet says that you have to program the cavity size after you replaced the control board.

Do the following:

1. Within 60 seconds of power up, press the following touch pads:
LOWER OFF, UPPER OVEN, BAKE, TEMP DOWN, TIMER OFF, MINUTE DOWN, START, CLOCK, LIGHT.

2. Size is shown in display - “ID 24”.

3. Press CLOCK pad until correct size is displayed.

4. Press CANCEL.

5. Press and hold LOWER OFF pad for 5 seconds to verify programming.

There are no other instructions for the control board programming.

Gene.
Horizons59  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:44:46 AM(UTC)
Horizons59

Thanks Gene but I think I need a service call as I am still seeing problems with the panel and display. I live in Ladera Ranch (south OC). What number do I call for your service? Thanks
brillj  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:16:10 AM(UTC)
brillj

Whirlpool Double Oven Wall unit black model no. GBD307PDS10. Oven would beep and LED screen would go blank. Came back on in a couple of days and went out again. Ordered control board from Whirlpool's supplier ************** part # W10406070. Everything connected except for ribbon connector. Connector is different and reading the forum looks like the ribbon cable may be different. Whirlpool and the supplier are no help.

What do I need to fix the oven...?

John
Gene  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:26:59 PM(UTC)
Gene

John,

Can you post a pictures of the old and new ribbons?

Gene.
brillj  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:59:34 PM(UTC)
brillj

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's not the ribbon cable that is different. It's the ribbon cable connector on the new control board that is different. The ribbon cable comes from the key pad assembly. That's what I'm not sure if I need to order now that the connector is different on the control board.

Hopefully these pictures will help.
brillj attached the following image(s):
Old Control Board.jpg
Old Ribbon Connector.jpg
New Control Board.jpg
Original Ribbon.jpg
Gene  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:06:29 PM(UTC)
Gene

Did you try to plug the ribbon cable into the new board connector? I believe it should fit.

This control board is direct replacement made by Whirlpool and there are no any additional installation instructions for this part.

Gene.
brillj  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:49:56 AM(UTC)
brillj

Hi Gene,

Yes, I did try to plug in the ribbon cable to the new control board. It never seated and popped right out. Also, and I know it's hard to tell by the pictures, but the ribbon cable connector on the new board is different.

The 1st picture is the ribbon connector for the old control board, the 2nd picture is the top part of the original ribbon cable connector and the 3rd the new board. The top of the ribbon connector had two tabs at each end that would seat and snap in place. The connector on the new board does not have that and the new board did not come with that piece.

I don't know if it is a matter of finding the correct top part of the ribbon connector that would work with the new board. Or will I have to get a new control panel assembly w/membrane switch (key pad).

Thanks,

John
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply