Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rtniehaus  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 4:41:00 PM(UTC)
rtniehaus

Groups: Registered

Can't remove the ice bin from the freezer door. Push on the release button and the ice bin wont come off. The augur will no longer spin to release ice. Found the Part No. 4322658A repair manual but it does not have this particular problem in it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:50:19 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Hello rtniehaus. The ice bin may be frozen to the door. Try leaving the door open for a little while and see if the bin comes out. You can use a flashlight to look under the bin and see if you see ice build up. If so, it will need to thaw out before you can remove it. Post your model number please if you need more help. Hope this helps. Model Number Locator
rtniehaus  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 11:14:23 AM(UTC)
rtniehaus

Model # ED5HVAXVI 01

Thanks again, ice bin will still not release from door after thawed.
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 11:48:55 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello. The only other thing you can try is to get a hook shaped pick tool. Then go through the opening in the bottom of the ice bucket and manually push the rod over to release the clips from the tabs. This can be very hard to do, but is possible. Hope this helps.
Handywoman74  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:01:09 AM(UTC)
Handywoman74

I have a Whirlpool GC5SHEXNS05 and I had the same problem. It was NOT due to ice, but rust.The ice bin would not come off because the rod (part #28) was rusted in the ice bin socket. It eventually came off when I exerted extreme force upward (while pushing in the release). Then the entire rod came up with the ice bin. At this point, I am using WD40 to try to get the rod off. I likely will have to replace the rod bc the corrosion will distort it's angles and thus the Augar will not turn when a lot of ice is in the bin. I assume the rust was the result of me using water to melt the ice when I was initially trying to get the bin off. I did not complete the progect till weeks later, therefore allowing time for the rust to develop. I hope this helps! I know I feel good that it is finally off!:)
bobloblaw  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:31:05 PM(UTC)
bobloblaw

So I've had to use boiling water to melt frozen ice down inside the auger, but mine still works when my bin is full of ice. No matter how much upward force I use, I still can't remove that frackin ice bin...so frustrating and I'm at my wits end. It's not the end of the world, but I'd much rather remove the ice bin if it freezes over than have to pour hot water in there to thaw it until it works again. Any suggestions?
Jeff / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:41:35 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello bobloblaw. Depending on the model number, the release may be bad and need to be replaced on the ice bucket assembly.
bobloblaw  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:56:32 PM(UTC)
bobloblaw

I've also got the Whirlpool GC5SHEXNS05. How would I go about replacing the release if I can't remove the ice bucket?
Jeff / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:22:02 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

You will need to thaw out the bucket to remove the bucket from the door. It may require using a pick tool to release the catch.
mwoods1  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 9:58:07 AM(UTC)
mwoods1

I have the same problem with the ice bin not releasing to remove it. Have done everything suggested, except using the hook tool (don't have one--what is it called?). Tried inserting a knife blade flat, but no luck.

I simply want to remove the auger so I can use it as an ice bucket to catch the ice from icemaker. Can't use the dispenser anyway without it getting frozen up repeatedly and since I can't get the bin off, I have to thaw everything out completely to make any headway. And the bin still will not release.

What will happen if I remove the screws that are holding in (I presume) the auger - there on the inside of the bin? Would I be able to get the bin off then?

I suppose the manufacturers have learned by now not to put ice dispenser mechanisms in the doors, since they tend to melt a bit when the frig "cycles" and thus clog everything up. I wish I'd had known to research everything about a newfangled frig before buying it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply