Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gcliffel  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:20:27 AM(UTC)
gcliffel

Groups: Registered

I actually did this twice - neither time was pretty so I can't guarantee it will work for you. As best as I can tell the infamous blue button (or tab) on the right side of the bin controls a long blue plastic slider that runs along the back of the bin bottom and is supposed unseat 2 plastic tabs when pushed in (we all know how we'll that works!). First I pull the blue button (tab) all the way out. Then I slide a long thin piece of metal (in my case a bread knife) in along the back of the bin under the blue plastic slider (which of course being under the bin you can't see). Then I put upward pressure on the blue slider by pushing down on the knife handle (like a lever). After several attempts (if you are lucky) the right tab will unseat and the bin will be loose but probably not free. At this point I was able to put strong upward pressure while rocking right and left and the back tab gives way (if you are lucky). Obviously plastic is involved and breakage is possible - only attempt if you are ready to take a sledge hammer to it as I have been!
Myrac  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 8:37:17 AM(UTC)
Myrac

I also have a Whirlpool refrigerator manufactured in 2006. The ice maker works fine and dispenses the ice like it should. However, I cannot get the bin out of the door to put the ice in a cooler. I push the blue button and it feels like it releases on the right side, but not on the left. Did the online chat, and was told I needed a microswitch. Ordered that part, but didn't think that made sense. When back and did another chat, and was told I need a new bin assembly for $153. Today, I got a response that maybe the door liner is warped. Is this hopeless? It appears this problem was been going on for years. But no one seems to know how to fix it. When the ice fills up and sits, then it freezes and it won't dispense the ice. But I can't get the bin out to empty it. Any ideas?
Myrac  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 8:39:08 AM(UTC)
Myrac

Originally Posted by: mwoods1 Go to Quoted Post
I have the same problem with the ice bin not releasing to remove it. Have done everything suggested, except using the hook tool (don't have one--what is it called?). Tried inserting a knife blade flat, but no luck.

I simply want to remove the auger so I can use it as an ice bucket to catch the ice from icemaker. Can't use the dispenser anyway without it getting frozen up repeatedly and since I can't get the bin off, I have to thaw everything out completely to make any headway. And the bin still will not release.

What will happen if I remove the screws that are holding in (I presume) the auger - there on the inside of the bin? Would I be able to get the bin off then?

I suppose the manufacturers have learned by now not to put ice dispenser mechanisms in the doors, since they tend to melt a bit when the frig "cycles" and thus clog everything up. I wish I'd had known to research everything about a newfangled frig before buying it.

I also have a Whirlpool refrigerator manufactured in 2006. The ice maker works fine and dispenses the ice like it should. However, I cannot get the bin out of the door to put the ice in a cooler. I push the blue button and it feels like it releases on the right side, but not on the left. Did the online chat, and was told I needed a microswitch. Ordered that part, but didn't think that made sense. Went back and did another chat, and was told I need a new bin assembly for $153. Today, I got a response that maybe the door liner is warped. Is this hopeless? It appears this problem was been going on for years. But no one seems to know how to fix it. When the ice fills up and sits, then it freezes and it won't dispense the ice. But I can't get the bin out to empty it. Any ideas?
reago  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:15:22 PM(UTC)
reago

Originally Posted by: Myrac Go to Quoted Post
I also have a Whirlpool refrigerator manufactured in 2006. The ice maker works fine and dispenses the ice like it should. However, I cannot get the bin out of the door to put the ice in a cooler. I push the blue button and it feels like it releases on the right side, but not on the left. Did the online chat, and was told I needed a microswitch. Ordered that part, but didn't think that made sense. Went back and did another chat, and was told I need a new bin assembly for $153. Today, I got a response that maybe the door liner is warped. Is this hopeless? It appears this problem was been going on for years. But no one seems to know how to fix it. When the ice fills up and sits, then it freezes and it won't dispense the ice. But I can't get the bin out to empty it. Any ideas?

Problem is ice - Hair drier works like magic!
reago  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:19:48 PM(UTC)
reago

Hair drier blowing are in opening below the blue "open" button works like magic!
reago  
#16 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:23:07 PM(UTC)
reago

:cool:
Originally Posted by: reago Go to Quoted Post

Hair drier blowing in the opening below the blue "open" button works like magic! :)
Myrac  
#17 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:16:30 AM(UTC)
Myrac

After going through several suggestions from the company, including the possibility that the door liner was warped ($777), I left the door open on the freezer and used the hair dryer that many suggested, and surprise, it came loose. The trick, I think, is to empty the bin more frequently. I am not a big user of ice and it sits there and over time just freezes up. thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
xxlMrLucky2014  
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2014 8:40:34 AM(UTC)
xxlMrLucky2014

The hair dryer worked to get one side of the bin free and then rocking and pulling HARD got the other side free and BANG it came free and smacked me in the head. 2 stiches later, I have a new scar on my forehead to go with the motorcycle and automobile scars. Be careful out there folks, appliances can be vicious.:)
ambjhs_auctions  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:29:19 PM(UTC)
ambjhs_auctions

Yes a hair dryer to get ice melted helps because usually there has been melt then it refreezes. Once you get the right side loose, then you get something with a hook and reach under to pull the blue plastic strip tab outward. If you have two people, one can lift up on the bucket and the other can use flashlight and hook.

Once the ice bucket is removed, to FIX the problem so it does not happen again, flip it over. When you push the button in, you can now see it hits a stop on the left. If you cut about a 1/8 of an inch or so back to make the stop farther back the bucket will remove easily but still latch into the door. :)
plethysmo  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2020 10:29:19 AM(UTC)
plethysmo

United States

I have a new Whirlpool model WRS321SDHZ05. The user guide says remove ice bin by lifting front and pulling out. Mine does not come out. However, if I use one arm to reach underneath and lift the rear if the ice bin, then use the other hand to lift in front and pull, it will slide out.

I think they changed the ice maker assembly design without properly updating user guide. The display item at Lowe's of the same model did slide out the bin by lifting the front only.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply