Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gdaarob  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 5:56:40 AM(UTC)
gdaarob

Groups: Registered

Hello:

This forum has saved me before. Hope it can save me again :-)

I have a Whirlpool LA5668XTW1 washing machine, bought new in 1993. It's hopping across the floor during spin cycle, even knocked the drain hose off last night :-(

This bouncing has occurred every so often over the years, usually if the load is too big, but now it's happening every time. A year or so ago I put no-skid pads under the feet and it seemed to work. Now that doesn't work even though I replaced with new, better grip pads. The machine is level.

I see that this seems to be a fairly common problem with some washers but the solution seems to vary depending on model. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Glenn
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 3:59:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Glenn,

Remove the cabinet (instructions attached) and check the suspension springs and the tub support. Also check the outer tub ring.

Here are the break down diagrams and the parts list for the Whirlpool washer Model LA5668XTW1

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
How to remove the washer cabinet.doc (25kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
gdaarob  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:49:51 PM(UTC)
gdaarob

Hi Gene:
Thanks for the reply. I will take a look. How will I know if the tub support and/or outer tub ring are OK? It seems prudent to replace the springs regardless, but should I be looking for something specific related to the other parts?
Thanks again.
Glenn
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:56:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

There is a special liquid inside the ring to balance the tub. If there is anything wrong then you'll see it. I've seen many times when the tub goes out of balance it damaged the ring.

If a spring broke it's pretty visible too.

Gene.
gdaarob  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:52:09 PM(UTC)
gdaarob

Hello again:
I removed the cabinet and looked at the springs. No apparent damage although I ordered a set last night for good measure. I assume I need to remove the agitator and tub to inspect the tub support but I don't know what I should be looking for (?).

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing regarding the outer tub ring. I'm looking at item # 10 on the Agitator, Basket & Tub diagram. It's a plastic piece that fits over the tub & there is a rubber seal/gasket on the underside (item #11). I can't see anything that would be liquid-filled as you described. It looks like a run-of- the-mill gasket to me. Are you talking about a different part?

One other thing that I noticed that's a bit disturbing: There is a spring that runs vertically down from the rear spring bracket to the base of the unit. From the diagram I think it's the tub balance spring (item #15). There is barely any meat around the hole in the base frame. It looks like I could pull the spring through the hole (break the hole open) with a good tug. If this isn't part of the problem already it will be soon enough. I should mention that the entire base is pretty rusty from past water in the basement.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Glenn
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:32:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Glenn,

Sorry, I pointed you to the wrong part. When I said "outer tub ring" I meant the balance ring on top of the inner tub (aka a basket). This ring is not shown on the diagram as a separate part, and if it's damaged then the whole basket has to be replaced.

For all other parts you can use the troubleshooting instructions from the Service manual (page 30).

Gene.
gdaarob  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:58:32 PM(UTC)
gdaarob

OK, feel like I'm slogging my way through this. No apparent damage to the ring on the top of the basket but I suppose I can't fully inspect till I remove the basket. So...I'm at the spanner nut but looks like I now need a special tool(?).

I'd sure appreciate any detailed advice on what I need to do and what I should be looking for as I feel like I'm working at a snail's pace especially if I need to spend a few days waiting for something like a wrench just to get to the next step. Thanks again!!
Gene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:55:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Yes, you do need a spanner wrench, but you can try to use a flat screwdriver and a mallet. Be advised that the thread is a left-handed. Also I really recommend to read the Service manual first.

Gene.
gdaarob  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 2:44:50 AM(UTC)
gdaarob

Thanks. Sorry to be a pain, but could you please confirm that the nut loosens clockwise on this model and not counterclockwise? I seem to be reading equal opinions both ways. Also, I can turn the basket with my hands which makes me wonder if I need to brace it somehow while trying to loosen the nut. Thanks again.
Gene  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 10:28:49 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: gdaarob Go to Quoted Post
...could you please confirm that the nut loosens clockwise on this model and not counterclockwise?...

...Also, I can turn the basket with my hands which makes me wonder if I need to brace it somehow while trying to loosen the nut...

Yes, you got it right. It should go clockwise.

I would recommend to check the drive block and drive tube after you remove the basket as described in one of our previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...ir/373-not-spinning.html

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply