Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smithrock  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:45:06 AM(UTC)
smithrock

Groups: Registered

I have a problem! the fridge cools fine, the freezer won't cool down below 18 degrees. There is ice on the inside back wall of the freezer. I took everything out to defrost it with a hair dryer on the fins. I've plugged it back it, and it is cooling down but the fins (coils) are already iced over after 30.min. ! What is wrong?
And how do I remove the inside back panel? I see the 4 screws but it still wont come out! Do I have to remove the bracket guides for all the selves as well? Help! The wife is getting upset!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

smithrock  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:05:03 PM(UTC)
smithrock

Got the back cover off! It was packed with ice, I defrosted it. I've since started it up again and it's cooling. I do have white frost forming on the coils, is this normal?
abadfish66  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:09:57 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Yes, a light snow is normal, compacted snow/ice is not. Take a look at the defrost heater at the bottom of the coils, if it is blackened inside the glass, you will need a new heater.
smithrock  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:52:11 PM(UTC)
smithrock

Didn't notice if it was black. It's not warm to the touch if that means anything. I already put the cover back on. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it gets like it was before. then I'll have to take the cover off again. Before I defrosted it, it was frozen and packed solid with ice. could that have an effect on it not working right?
abadfish66  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:02:55 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Yep, when it has that much ice on the coils, air cannot be pulled through the coils, therefore the temps start to rise. So in about 7 days, you will have the buildup of ice again on the coils and will have to defrost again. Take a look at the heater, better yet, do a continuity check and see if it is good or bad. The heater only get's hot when it defrosts, it is not hot all the time, about once a day it will defrost, if not mark down on the calendar about 7 days from now, you'll be defrosting it again.
smithrock  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:48:12 PM(UTC)
smithrock

This upcoming Saturday will be 2 weeks, so far so good! Freezer temps are where they should be. I'll keep an eye out on it and keep my fingers crossed! Thanks to all that helped!
smithrock  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:24:19 PM(UTC)
smithrock

Now my freezer has temps anywhere from 2* to 14* throughout the course of a day. and it's not because the freezer has been opened alot. Any ideas?
smithrock  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2009 10:44:38 AM(UTC)
smithrock

When defrosting a few weeks back, i used the blow dryer and I must have directed it at the temp sensor on the side of the freezer. now the freezer cools, but temps will jump between 2* and 18* in a matter of hours! Could I have damaged the temp sensor?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply