Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
adobesigns  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:02:02 AM(UTC)
adobesigns

Groups: Registered

I'm the original owner of a KENMORE ColdSpot refrigerator (model# 106.41512101) purchased from SEARS, and have had it for about 6 years now, maybe 7.
When I got home from work yesterday I opened the refrigerator door and noticed there was no cold air. I checked the freezer and it too was not cold, and everything had started to defrost. It's like the refrigerator just stopped working...but I can still hear the motor and cooling fan running...it's just not producing cold air.
I have always kept the underside clean (where the condensor coils are) so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the refrigerator starving for air (atleast I think so). When I took the back bottom service panel off I saw everything on the underside is still very clean, and can see the motor and fan is still working.

The only thing different now is that attached next to the condensor tank there looks like a relay switch of some sort that "cliks" every so often...I have never heard this "clicking" noise before, even after all these years of cleaning the coils etc, etc. It's like the "clicking" is trying to turn something on and give the condensor a boost to start up again, but it's not.
Any ideas what could be wrong, and if it's actualy worth reparing? Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thankyou
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:29:33 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

That "condenser tank" is a compressor. When it runs, it sort of "purrs", and is slightly too hot to touch. I would replace that relay you hear clicking. Are you able to perform a couple electrical tests on the compressor to confirm?
adobesigns  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:42:17 AM(UTC)
adobesigns

Hello and Thankyou for such a quick responce.

Unfortunatley without hiring a repair technician, I have no means to test any of the electrics.

As for the relay replacement, would it be the "Compressor start kit device"...kit#PS993073 ?, or a seperate relay all together?

Thankyou again for your help :o)
magician59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:47:15 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Here's the part.
Part number: AP3885081
adobesigns  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:55:50 AM(UTC)
adobesigns

Great! The alternative is a bit more grisly (new frig), so I'll give this a try first and let you know how it goes.

Thankyou again for your help and such a quick responce:o)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply