Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PaulsStuck  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:29:38 AM(UTC)
PaulsStuck

Groups: Registered

The tray to my icemaker has been periodically sheading its lining into my ice for some time now. So when it stopped making ice (and built up frozen water in it), I replaced the entire 8-part assembly with a replacement from appliancepartspros.com.

After installing it, I have received about 4 batchs (8-pieces each) of ice over the past week - some ice but that's it! It has water in the tray, but the ice does not come out.

What do I look at next to solve this issue?!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:40:54 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What is the exact temperature in the freezer?

It suppose to be 0°F ± 5°F.

If the temperature is fine and the part you replaced in the ice maker is the ice mold, very likely you did not attach the thermostat properly or overlooked some more wrong parts. The ice maker repair is not that simple and the rate of success on such repairs is relatively low. I'm personally do not do it. New ice maker is more expensive but on the other side it is much more reliable to replace the whole ice maker.

- The ice maker Part number: AP3182733
Part number: AP3182733

Gene.
PaulsStuck  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:46:12 PM(UTC)
PaulsStuck

Thank you for your fast reply!

I did replace the entire ice maker for $120 - I thought that the motor went bad and I had to replace the tray anyway - from what you say, I did the right thing.

I just went upstairs and there were 8 cubes in the bin - it seems like if I mess with the bin, the door and the on/off switch, I get a few cubes out, but hardly any.

I was thinking that perhaps I hadn't hooked the laser connection back right - I had to replace the flipper when I accidently broke it taking the icemaker out. I have not tried to reconnect it yet b/c somtimes ice DOES come out....
PaulsStuck  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:47:08 PM(UTC)
PaulsStuck

Freezer is set to 0 deg F.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 12:16:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: PaulsStuck Go to Quoted Post
Freezer is set to 0 deg F.

The temperature you set and the real temperature can be different. If you want to make sure there is the correct temperature, you have to measure it. The most accurate thermometer is a mercury.

Gene.
PaulsStuck  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:30:42 AM(UTC)
PaulsStuck

When freezer set at 0F, flat thermometer (not mercury but I will get one) said -8F and the freezer seems colder than normal. I increased the set temp so that thermometer reads -2F in case it was too cold and frezzing up mechanics of icemaker, but still no ice.

I checked that I put the wire back into the laser assembly when I changing out the flipper (remember I broke accidently when taking out icemaker to replace) and it seems to be fine. Is there a way to check the laser?
PaulsStuck  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:41:10 AM(UTC)
PaulsStuck

I just used my camcorder, which has a "Nightshot" mode that detects IR, and manually pushed the flipper and the freezer door switches in and did not see any laser from either side. The camcorder works b/c I could see the laser from my remote.

Is there another way to test the laser - perhaps w/a multimeter? where/how would I test? If this is not working I would think that the freezer thinks that the ice is full and would explain why not working, or at least workign intermittently, right?
PaulsStuck  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 2:29:57 AM(UTC)
PaulsStuck

Freezer temps back to 0F and the icemaker is making ice - at least for the past 24 hours it has been.

Hopefully this is fixed - did the freezer freeze up the icemaker? Is that what you think might have happened?
Gene  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 10:05:30 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: PaulsStuck Go to Quoted Post
...did the freezer freeze up the icemaker? Is that what you think might have happened?...

I do not think so. More likely there is a bad connection somewhere.

Gene.
PaulsStuck  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 5:59:03 PM(UTC)
PaulsStuck

You are like me: the bearer of "bad-tidings". Actually once you said that I think that you are right -I recall 1 or 2 times where the the ice quantity in the bucket dropped - as if the maker stopped working.

Where might you think that the problem is? Or is there a way to tell based on the the description I have given? Does the laser run all the time when the door is closed or periodically? Does it fire on a timer or in coordination with ice production?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply