Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
edatlarge  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:01:09 PM(UTC)
edatlarge

Groups: Registered

IRich Morgan: I have a vintage 1984 Maytag A500 washer. The outer tub has developed a leak around the steel band that holds the top 1/3 to the bottom 2/3's. Is there a replaceable gasket that is under the band?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:24:08 PM(UTC)
applianceman

There is a rubber gasket there that you can replace. However if you haven’t removed the gasket or loosened the clamp you will most likely find that the tub is rusted out right at the seal. If you have taken the gasket off or loosened it try rubbing it with Vaseline and reinstall it. The gaskets give very little trouble unless you remove it, in which case you may have to replace it. Clothes Washer Repair Guide
edatlarge  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 4:12:28 PM(UTC)
edatlarge

Thanks for your speedy expert reply.... I have not yet disturbed the seal... so that was why I asked. I knew once I would open it up I would have to have a plan. A leak can only get worse. It sounds like rust may be the final downfall. I may see if I can get a gasket standing by when I do if the rust hasn't already killed it!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply