Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pra1937  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:18:18 AM(UTC)
pra1937

Groups: Registered

My icemaker tray overfills when filling and forms an icicle which freezes onto the cubes in the collector pan.

Can I adjust the filling valve to send less water?
This problem just started this week.
Thanks,
pra1937
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:03:28 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pra1937 Go to Quoted Post
My icemaker tray overfills when filling and forms an icicle which freezes onto the cubes in the collector pan.

Can I adjust the filling valve to send less water?
This problem just started this week.
Thanks,
pra1937

PRA,

No you cannot adjust the fill valve for less water.

You can adjust the ice maker fill time, to reduce the amount of water.

On the side of the ice maker front control module you will find a small white plastic shaft wit a slot in the top of it,

You can turn that shaft (with a small flat blade screw driver) clockwise,to reduce the amount of fill time and eliminate the overfill condition.

It is reccomended to turn the control shaft 1/2 to 1 complete turn at a time,until proper fill level achieved, and no more that 3 complete turns.

This adjustment should get you going, and stop the overfill.

:) :) :)
thanks 1 user thanked Joe / APP Team for this useful post.
sfm153 on 6/17/2020(UTC)
pra1937  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:07:11 AM(UTC)
pra1937

Joe M.
Thank you for the prompt reply!
My icemaker(sorry that I do not have the part no. with me) has a square white plastic cover approx 5"X5" which snaps on the end opposite the filling tube end. Do you mean I should remove that cover to access the white plastic shaft? I remember seeing a toothed plastic gear when previously removing the cover. Is the shaft attached to the gear?
As you can guess, I am not home now to actually do it.
Also, how do I get your answer to these questions? By email or on the forum website. This is my firs day using it, and I do appreciate your help.
pra1937
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:47:21 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe M.
Thank you for the prompt reply!
My icemaker(sorry that I do not have the part no. with me) has a square white plastic cover approx 5"X5" which snaps on the end opposite the filling tube end. Do you mean I should remove that cover to access the white plastic shaft? I remember seeing a toothed plastic gear when previously removing the cover. Is the shaft attached to the gear?
As you can guess, I am not home now to actually do it.
Also, how do I get your answer to these questions? By email or on the forum website. This is my firs day using it, and I do appreciate your help.
pra1937

PRA,

Yes you will need to remove the white cover.

The adjustment shaft will be on the side of the module,in the black plastic area, roughly in the middle between the top and bottom of the module body, not the front Tan plastic (where the gear is).
I'm sure you'll figure it out.
pra1937  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:43:19 PM(UTC)
pra1937

Joe M.
Thank you!
I will do it tonite when I get home.
PRA
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:53:22 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe M.
Thank you!
I will do it tonite when I get home.
PRA

OK,

Looking forward to hearing from you.
pra1937  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:16:04 AM(UTC)
pra1937

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
OK,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joe,
I first turned the screw 1/2 turn, which reduced the diameter of the icicycle from approx 3/8" to 1/4''. I turned another full turn and reduced icicyle to 1/8". I turned another 1/2 turn and no drips ocrrred while filling.
That was last nite.
When I looked this morning, there was a small (less than 1/8") icicyle hanging. I turned another 1/2 turn and left for work. I can't check the effect of my last turn till tonite. You said no more than 3 turns.
Could it be that the water inlet valve screen is partially plugged and allowing some water to flow into the ice mold over time?
The icicyle forms only at one location--at the front right corner of the mold, immediately behind the side where the screw is located.
I will look forward to your reply. Do I need to go back to the Forum?
PRA
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:57:14 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,
I first turned the screw 1/2 turn, which reduced the diameter of the icicycle from approx 3/8" to 1/4''. I turned another full turn and reduced icicyle to 1/8". I turned another 1/2 turn and no drips ocrrred while filling.
That was last nite.
When I looked this morning, there was a small (less than 1/8") icicyle hanging. I turned another 1/2 turn and left for work. I can't check the effect of my last turn till tonite. You said no more than 3 turns.
Could it be that the water inlet valve screen is partially plugged and allowing some water to flow into the ice mold over time?
The icicyle forms only at one location--at the front right corner of the mold, immediately behind the side where the screw is located.
I will look forward to your reply. Do I need to go back to the Forum?
PRA

PRA,

Something else you may want to check:

Check and make sure the refrigerator is level in both directions.

Also check the ice maker itself for level.

I've only seen a leaking ice maker(like you're describing 2 or 3 times in 30 + years).

Hopefully, you're done tonight when you get home, but it is always best to communicate through the forum.

There are a lot of servicers/technicians that will give out information and opinions, options and reccomendations(comes in handy).

pra1937  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:16:57 PM(UTC)
pra1937

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
PRA,

Something else you may want to check:

Check and make sure the refrigerator is level in both directions.

Also check the ice maker itself for level.

I've only seen a leaking ice maker(like you're describing 2 or 3 times in 30 + years).

Hopefully, you're done tonight when you get home, but it is always best to communicate through the forum.

There are a lot of servicers/technicians that will give out information and opinions, options and reccomendations(comes in handy).

Joe,
When I got home, there was another icicycle. I just checed the balance in both directions, and the frige is almost perfectly level, but the icemaker itself is tilted about 3/16" low at the right corner where the icicycle forms.
It is secured tightly to the inside wall of the freezer BUT that wall is not level vertically. I can try putting a shim between the wall and the left side of the icemaker to level it up. What do you think?

Could it be something in the water supply valve that is allowing a little flow after it is supposed to shut off?
Thanks for all your replys.
pra
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 5:54:36 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,
When I got home, there was another icicycle. I just checed the balance in both directions, and the frige is almost perfectly level, but the icemaker itself is tilted about 3/16" low at the right corner where the icicycle forms.
It is secured tightly to the inside wall of the freezer BUT that wall is not level vertically. I can try putting a shim between the wall and the left side of the icemaker to level it up. What do you think?

Could it be something in the water supply valve that is allowing a little flow after it is supposed to shut off?
Thanks for all your replys.
pra

PRA,

Yes, you can shim out the ice maker to level it up properly.

Just remember it's best to use plastic for the shim,

Yes, it could be a seepage problem(minor) in the fill valve, but I didn't want to take you there unless we had to.

But, that's the next place we're going, if you still have a problem after the leveling of the ice maker.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply