Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#21 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 1:11:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It's better to open it and inspect what is blocking the tube.

Gene.
ragsj  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:29:30 PM(UTC)
ragsj

Groups: Registered

Please let me know if you guys know of an expert tech to resolve this issue for me.

Thank you.
Rag
BobJH  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:38:07 AM(UTC)
BobJH

Rags,

I looked at your photo and it looks exactly like my unit. My first responce is that you might be surprised how much liquid the evaporator drain (in the freezer section) holds. When the hose was blocked with ice, in my case, I siphoned most of the liquid out with some small silicone tubing through the front of the freezer section (you should be able to reach your finger tips to the edge of the tray.) There should not be any severe bends in the hose to cause a restriction, is there a possibility your wire is contacting something on the other side beyond the end in the tray. See if you can estimate the distance your wire is traveling, the hose goes no further than through the main wall between the freezer & refrigerator sections.

My recommendation is to get the free end of the hose back in place (it may be important to get it resecurred on the other side of the partition wall) and then inject liquid into the tray, through the access in the front of the freezer, and confirm that the fluid flows into the tray under the compressor (on the right side of the partition wall.) You may have a clear unobstructed tube already. If it flows then things should work...At least for a while depending on whether you have ice forming (like mine was) or just crud, which you may well have disoloved with the bleach.

The Icing kit does take some skill to install but in my situation it really did NOT fix the problem. Re-read my earlier post for info on it. My problem was definitely ice freezing at the spigot of the tray in the freezer, which I was able to confirm by dropping the tray before it was able to thaw. You could confirm that in your unit by injecting denatured alcohol into the tray when blockage is detected.

Monitoring correct operation can be done by observing water in the tray under the compressor immediately following a defrost cycle. The timer is located in the front upper section adjacent to the partition wall and has a round pin about 3/8" diameter, is flush with the surface and with a flat blade screwdriver can only be rotated clockwise. (I marked mine with a dot of paint to help.) It will click at a certain point and the compressor will shut off, if running, and will last about 20min +/- at which time liquid will (should) flow into the tray. (You may notice an orange glow in the top of the freezer section at the beginning of the cylce...Do not stick you fingers up there (like I did once), this is the heater element identical to an electric stove or oven which de-ices the coil.

As I mentioned in my earlier post a method of determining a free flowing hose can be confirmed by looking for some movement of the water sitting in the hose when quickly closing the door.

I will post my repair when I do it and take some pictures, although I doubt if I will be able to report any long term results as I plan to sell it. I hope this is of some help!:)
lburger2  
#24 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:02:40 AM(UTC)
lburger2

I have had this issue every 4-5 years, and it was always the evaporator engineering defect described earlier. I had a GE repairman out who showed me how to periodically maintain it by defrosting it for 2 days, then opening the grill, sliding the chassis, and blowing out the line with a compressor, or sucking it out with a vacuum. I just went to do this again, and I can't get my grill out. I removed 3 screws, and it will not budge. Does anyone know of something else that is holding it? I never had this issue the last time I did it, but it was a few years ago, and I can't remember if I forgot something else.
Salinahocutt  
#25 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 11:30:40 PM(UTC)
Salinahocutt

United States

Your freeze need PartsBroz RCO410 3 in 1 Hard Start Capacitor Kit. It is a 3 – in -1 DIY friendly device that comprises an overload, capacitor, and relay device. It will replace all three components of a capillary system and avoid damage to the compressor.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply