Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BobJH  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 7:50:16 AM(UTC)
BobJH

Groups: Registered

BTW, I meant to add the fact that all the service tech did was remove some freezer compartment panels, clean the ice from the fan area and leave. Since I wanted to be assured of some use of it between then and 10 days when he is scheduled to return I ran it through a couple of defrost cycles, siphoned 2+ cups of water out of the drip tray/pan & then put about 4oz of rubbing alchohol in & after about 30 minutes suddenly the apparent ice plug melted and the solution drained rapidly into the tray under the compressor, which seems to suggest no algae type "funk" was causing the problem.

Bob
ragsj  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 11:13:50 AM(UTC)
ragsj

Built-in GE Monogram Portfolio with drain tube/tray on top model ZISB42DCA
I have the same problem. I can see water sitting in the drain tube and not getting out. The tray is dry and rusted.

I can't see the end of the drain tube from the tray side. There is big ball like black (compressor/condenser?) sphere like part on top of the drain tray covering where the drain tube may be ending.

How are you all accessing the drain tube to clean any blocking? Are you all removing parts to to do this?

Thank you.
Rag
denman  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 3:38:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
ragsj

You would be better off starting your own thread in this forum section using "Post New Topic", then perhaps someone with experience with this specific unit may be able to help you.

I am guessing here:
It looks like you can disconnect the drain line behind the fridge.
If you can then you should be able to clear it with a compressor (use a low pressure) or a turkey baster using warm water.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Gene  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:42:28 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ragsj Go to Quoted Post
Built-in GE Monogram Portfolio with drain tube/tray on top model ZISB42DCA
I have the same problem. I can see water sitting in the drain tube and not getting out. The tray is dry and rusted.

I can't see the end of the drain tube from the tray side. There is big ball like black (compressor/condenser?) sphere like part on top of the drain tray covering where the drain tube may be ending.

How are you all accessing the drain tube to clean any blocking? Are you all removing parts to to do this?

Thank you.
Rag

Hi Rag,

You definitely can use the instructions posted by SteveHouston on the previous page. This problem is very common for such built-in refrigerators made by GE. It happens because of the condenser coils never been cleaned or being cleaned very seldom which leads dust and lint to be accumulated and sucked into the drain tube.

Gene.
BobJH  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:55:44 AM(UTC)
BobJH

Fortunately my problem has been handled by the warranty company replacing my unit, finally:)! (At a retail price of $8,000 I'm glad they paid for it:eek:!)

So I do not have as much vested interest in a fix but I am planning to repair & sell my old unit so Gene I question the likelyhood of dust being drawn into the drain tube when it is constantly full of water (or ice at times) as it forms a type of plumbing "P-trap" to prevent chilled air from escaping the freezer compartment. Evidence of that is observed by watching this trapped water move slightly down the clear drain pipe while firmly & quickly closing either door of the unit...This was always an acurate indicator that no blockage existed, besides that I regularly cleaned the condenser coils and fan compartment.

Rag I still think, and plan to do it, that the best fix will be configuring a method to melt the ice that forms at the neck/spigot of the evaporator drain tray (inside the freezer) during the defrost cycle such as what I suggested in an earlier post with an additional piece of heater wire.

The hose is difficult to get to from inside the compressor compartment as there is a plastic strap (similar to the one securing it to the bottom of the fan compartment) that also secures it to the compressor tray just inside the vertical partition wall. I did this once, it was a major hassel and not necessary but if you want to the only way to get to it is remove enough of the louvers in front and the compressor/conderser/fan assembly is mounted on a track that slides out (like a drawer) for servicing.

Steve's idea will work effectively if you just have a build up of crud but that was not the case with mine. I hope this helps & good luck!
Gene  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:12:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: BobJH Go to Quoted Post
...Fortunately my problem has been handled by the warranty company replacing my unit, finally:)! (At a retail price of $8,000 I'm glad they paid for it:eek:!)...

...Gene I question the likelyhood of dust being drawn into the drain tube when it is constantly full of water (or ice at times) as it forms a type of plumbing "P-trap" to prevent chilled air from escaping the freezer compartment...

You are very lucky they did it for you. I use to work for a few home warranty companies and I know they will fight very hard not to replace such expensive products.

My recommendations to Rag based on my experience which definitely does not cover all possible scenarios. Keep us posted if you'll find the solution for your old fridge please.

Gene.
ragsj  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:22:54 PM(UTC)
ragsj

I read all your replies. I left the fridge completely unplugged for a week. I still see some water sitting in the drain tube. That remaining water can't come out as the tube is bent like an arch and there are things holding the tube down - so not possible to lift the tube to get all the water out to the tray.

I still haven't figured out how to reach inside the drain tube from the drain tray side. I need to figure out what things can be removed to pull things out for servicing (as mentioned in some responses). If I could only reach the tube end to put something to suck the water out or put a wire or somethng to clean the tube, I would be ready to plug the unit and see if the problem goes away.

I'm not a handyman or electrician kind of person to understand everything. But want to try this out myself as it seems like warranty technician may drag it with several trips.

Would appreciate some clear (laymans term) instructions on how to reach the drain tube from the drain tray side and clean it.

BTW, as this is a built-in unit, not sure what is in the "back" to reach and clean. It is all in the top.
ragsj  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:24:48 AM(UTC)
ragsj

So i was able to pull out the tray on top and access the drain tube. There was no blocks/clog except just dirty pipe and some stagnating water.

I sent a cable wire through the tube and on the freezer side I could feel a HARD BLOCK (inside the freezer box/compartment), softly pushing it tells me if I push hard I might break something. The wire is going for about a foot and then get stuck.

Question: Should the wire go iinside the drain tube unblocked? Should I put more pressure and "break" the block- I'm not even sure it is a block or not, may be it was deisgned that way.

Here is the photo (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6849033...012-04-15%2013.45.52.jpg)
of the top area and drain tube (pulled up to clean). BTW, when I blow hard into the tube air doesn't move through the other side. If I push water with bleech with a medicine injector it seems to go somewhere with some amount (2/3 of the tube) stays in the tube - it never overflows...puzzling where the water is going (inside the freezer section).

I'm waiting for responses to continue (fridge sitting unplugged for a week), doors open top removed....I doubt any ice is still there clogging anything.
Gene  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 12:34:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Rag,

GE had designed a special icing kit to fix this problem with refrigerators similar to yours. That's the best solution in such situation. Before you will order it, read the installation instructions attached to this reply. It will help you to determine if you are capable to do this job.

- The icing kit Part number: WR49X10021
Part number: WR49X10021

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
ragsj  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 1:08:12 PM(UTC)
ragsj

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the info. Before I get someone to come and do this, I like to complete my exercise.

Please let me know if the drain tube should have anything blocking on the EVAPORATOR (top of freezer) side. Should I be able to blow air or run a wire unobstructed through the drain tube from the pan(compressor side) to the EVAPORATOR side? Something hard seems to be blocking on the EVAPORATOR side of the tube - I don't know if I should poke it hard to make an opening (the unit has been unplugged and left open for about 10 days).

Thank you.
Ragsj
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply