Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pshoebri  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:12:26 AM(UTC)
pshoebri

Groups: Registered

hello,

I've got an LG electric dryer, only a few years old, and midway through a cycle it just stopped. I went to restart it but it would not power on, despite the fact the light was on inside the dryer. I flipped the breaker on and off, still nothing.

I checked the vent, which is rigid, thinking it might be clogged and had tripped things, but it was quite clear.

I did some searching and found suggestions:
- pressing reset button inside the machine - via the dryer vent hole - but my version is electric and doesn't have this switch it seems?
- I tried turning off the machine, holding down power button for 5 seconds then turning on again.
- some people suggest that it could be one of the thermal fuses - and I haven't checked the continuity on these yet since I need to borrow a multimeter - but before heading down this path, which seems to involve dismantling the entire machine....? i wanted to be sure that the symptoms point to this, and not to something like a faulty control panel?

What might my next steps be?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom,

Paul
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gr8filed  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:54:30 AM(UTC)
gr8filed

It sounds like you lost one leg of the 240 volts. Lights will come on with only 120 volts.
pshoebri  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:47:43 PM(UTC)
pshoebri

ok, interesting - so does this mean install a new breaker then? or maybe the connection at the plug is flaky?
gr8filed  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:59:21 PM(UTC)
gr8filed

Im no electrician but i replaced a old dryer one time and the new one did the same thing !! Found a poor connection at the house side of the plug. Kill the breaker and remove the cover on the outlet. The screw on mine had back out, i guess from vibration, and it was only getting half the voltage required.
pshoebri  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 2:12:32 PM(UTC)
pshoebri

took the cover off, checked all connections, rechecked voltage on both sides of the plug and both read 120.

checked the continuity on the thermal fuses deep inside the machine too - which seem to check out

so, any other thoughts of what i could check next?