Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cjharris25  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:39:00 AM(UTC)
cjharris25

Groups: Registered

I own a side by side Whirlpool Gold refrigerator. It has an ice and water dispenser in the door. Recently the refrigerator will no longer crush the ice. It still makes ice and the water dispenser works fine, but when I select the crushed ice option nothing happens. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rickgburton  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:47:00 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

You'll need to access the auger motor. Remove ice bucket, tape emitter back, tape door switch closed. Check for either +115VDC or -115VDC (Depending on cubed/crushed) at the R/W wire and BR/W wire. Here's a diagram that might help.
rickgburton attached the following image(s):
IDI 4 Wire Cube-Crush Circuits.jpg
Cfix  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 7:29:40 PM(UTC)
Cfix

This model is from 2005. It makes ice, but the ice maker leaks water and forms icicles so I'll try replacing the ice maker. However, the part that I'm not sure about is how the ice crusher works in this model. Can anyone explain?

This is the type that has the ice bucket in the door. There's a motor and auger shaft that goes vertically up into the ice bucket. I'm thinking the motor reverses direction to make ice? There are no solonoids in this model, just a motor and shaft into the bucket. The ice crushing blades are at the base of the bucket.

The ice dispenser control board is no longer available for this model but the motor is in a few places. Can tell me how the ice crusher works on this model?
Thanks!
rickgburton  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 8:51:28 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

The auger motor turns one direction for cubes and the opposite direction for crushed ice.
Cfix  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 9:03:33 PM(UTC)
Cfix

Thanks for the reply!!
Ok, so I assume the best way to test why the crushed ice doesn’t work is to see if there’s power to the motor when I depress the lever with crushed ice selected. Looks like a 5 pin connector. I’ll see if I can figure out which is which. Since I know the regular ice dispense works I can check for voltage with that one first to narrow it down.

Would you happen to know where I can find a copy of the service manual for this model?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply