Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kabel69  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 3:03:55 PM(UTC)
Kabel69

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Centennial dryer that will not start or run. I have watched countless videos on youtube and tested everything possible behind the back panel for continuity and everything seems to test fine. I have also tested the start switch, door switch, and the timer and those seem to be working as well.

I can hear the timer motor ticking when I select a drying cycle and when I rotate it to off I can also hear the start button click off as well.

The dryer motor doesn't make any sounds when I push the start button and I have tested the blue and white wire terminal on the motor switch as well and it seems to be fine.

I am at a loss as to why the dryer will not start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ppipowerclass  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 8:27:40 PM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

I don't have the answer to this, but I have the same exact problem with those Whirlpool built dryers. I have switched everything from timers, motors, by passed and / or replaced every electrical connection, and nothing.
brobriffin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 5:43:55 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you have tested the thermal fuse and it is good along with you other checks and you do not hear any humming or buzzing from the motor when you push start, then I suspect you timer is the issue. It may be the contacts inside are bad or the plastic cam that closes the contacts are bad.
ppipowerclass  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:20:59 AM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

Originally Posted by: brobriffin Go to Quoted Post
If you have tested the thermal fuse and it is good along with you other checks and you do not hear any humming or buzzing from the motor when you push start, then I suspect you timer is the issue. It may be the contacts inside are bad or the plastic cam that closes the contacts are bad.

A lot of these dryers use those cheaply made Invensys timers. So I thought it was the timer too. I pulled timers from working units, installed in my dead dryers, and still nothing. Even swapped motors too. Then swapped the timers and motors back to the other units, and they ran just fine.

There has to be a demon in the wiring on these style Whirlpool built dryers somewhere. I guess I am just gonna have to sit down one day with my good ol' Fluke and test each individual wire, one at a time.. Because I have " cannibalized " dozens of these dryers and wasted a TON of time trying to track this problem down and still haven't gotten anything.
thorning  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 7:06:03 AM(UTC)
thorning

If you are good at following a schematic you should be able to trace the circuit at the timer. If you have a good meter you should be able to see which ones are to be connected when heat and motor are supposed to be energized. The timer (assuming it is an old design rotary type) may have a set of contacts stuck or burned.
ppipowerclass  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 5:03:40 AM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
If you are good at following a schematic you should be able to trace the circuit at the timer. If you have a good meter you should be able to see which ones are to be connected when heat and motor are supposed to be energized. The timer (assuming it is an old design rotary type) may have a set of contacts stuck or burned.

I can ( my dad is an electrical engineer, so I have learned a LOT from him.. which is how I got started repairing appliances to start with ).. And I do ( Fluke 87V ).

I was honestly hoping someone might have the answer to this riddle without having to go through the legwork. I am not against doing the work, but, I will do it. Just recently, I have figured out how to repair the Invensys timers they put in these without having to replace them. So, again, I am not against figuring stuff out. Just looking for the answers :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply