Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
artmra  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:50:34 PM(UTC)
artmra

Groups: Registered

I had the light bulb blow out, I then removed the glass light bulb cover and found the halogen bulb had exploded, I cleaned up all the broken glass and I then attempted to remove that was left of the bulb socket and the two metal prongs.

MY ERROR was that I did NOT unplug the MW and touched both prongs with the needle nose pliers I used to try and remove the bulb socket. There was a flash and ALL of the digital displays have gone blank.

Have I fried the electronics in the MW ??? Any suggestions of what to do now ??? The circuit breaker did NO close and that appears to be okay. If I replace the bulb will that complete the electrical connection ??? Is there an internal fuse somewhere within the MW ???

Sears has said their service call charge to repair the MW is $ 249.00 and if it needs parts, that is extra. If I chose not to have it repaired I will still be billed the $ 249.00.

At plus ten years old should I just go get a NEW MW ???

The other problem I have is that ALL our appliances are bisque in color and there are not a lot of options out there now in the color.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:25:06 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: artmra Go to Quoted Post

Have I fried the electronics in the MW ??? Any suggestions of what to do now ??? The circuit breaker did NO close and that appears to be okay. If I replace the bulb will that complete the electrical connection ??? Is there an internal fuse somewhere within the MW ???

Sears has said their service call charge to repair the MW is $ 249.00 and if it needs parts, that is extra. If I chose not to have it repaired I will still be billed the $ 249.00.

At plus ten years old should I just go get a NEW MW ???

Putting a new bulb in probably won't do anything.

Yes there is a fuse in the microwave, its probably blown from the short.

I can tell you this: changing the bulb live on any of these modern microwaves, ovens, and refrigerators can damage the main board or kill it. Always shut the power off.

Is it going to cost more to repair it than the MW is worth? Probably. It depends on how much stuff is damaged and if the parts are even available.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply