Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
handyandy71  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 1:47:27 PM(UTC)
handyandy71

Groups: Registered

here is all the info for my side by side refrigerator/freezer

Amana
model SDI25F-L
MFG# PF5400-8WL
S/N CF31231632-8
DESIGN PRESSURE 235 HS & 140 LS
10.0 OZ R12
AMPS 9.0

About a week ago I noticed my pizza and bread also some meat was thawed out in the freezer section ( the refrigerator part seemed to still be fine (35-40 Fahrenheit )

I found cat hair had clogged up the entire coil system under the frig so I vacuumed it all out with the help of a christmas wrapping paper tube and my shop vac. I waited for the compressor to kick back on but it didn't. Then I noticed a little dial on the bottom of the frig to the left of the coils directly under the freezer part so I turned it (defrost timer I assume) after it clicked as I turned it my compressor came back on and it began to freeze again.

now its been about a week and it has done the same thing again..I turned the dial and once again its has come back on and is freezing food.

I would really appreciate some help figuring out what to replace because I cannot afford to get a new refrigerator.

I also noticed if I slightly push in on the dial as I turn it the compressor would turn off ( in places previously if i didn't not push in it would not turn off the compressor/fan ) then when I let up it would go on and off until i turned it to a certain spot and left it alone..kinda seems like its making contact intermittently so I'm thinking maybe its getting stuck when it goes to its shut off cycle ?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 2:30:12 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The defrost timer is just like most clocks, it has a motor, a cam and some electrical contacts. Just like other clocks the motor eventually quits or gets stuck.

Timers "refrigerate" for 6 or 8 hours then the go into "defrost" and activate the defrost element. Defrost is usually 22 to 30 minutes, then its back to refrigerate.

Yours apparently is getting stuck in defrost. Symptom: nothing is on but the lights.

Replace the timer. This site show this timer as a replacement.

Whirlpool W10822278 Timer-Def - AppliancePartsPros.com
handyandy71  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 2:53:34 PM(UTC)
handyandy71

is there an easy way to test the timer with a multimeter or another way ? I don't have a lot of money so I just want to be very sure before I order a part.

I've been reading in the reviews on appliancepartspros that some are replacing the defrost timer only to find it was the temp control thermostat. So I think I need to learn how I can properly diagnose both. Also the thermostat seems only available on ********. so the famous auction site gets automatically marked out..ok lol
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 3:11:38 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

How old is the timer? Have you ever replaced it? Have you seen a lot of 15, 20, or 25 year old clocks that have ran continuously for all those years without any service, not even a drop of oil? How long do you expect this timer to work? Do you think it will somehow work for another 20 years because you turned its shaft and sparked its contacts a few times?

Try that with your car or TV. Things get old. Things eventually wear out.
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 3:13:45 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I always write it as Epay. Everyone knows who it is.
handyandy71  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 3:32:55 PM(UTC)
handyandy71

no need to come off like a condescending jerk buddy. I asked a simple question if there is an easy way to test it..no reply about this I have to think either you don't know or you don't care to explain. Also I have a valid concern considering I'm reading of people replacing the timer and its not the issue and was the temp control thermostat or something else.
ThatGuy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 12:11:50 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I do this for free.

I get paid nothing.

I had over 26 years of appliance experience up until I developed deep vein thrombosis. Now I'm disabled.

I give out what I consider good advise, but people don't listen. I sometimes think I should just shut up and find some other use for my time.

I don't have to be here.

Good luck with your fridge.
handyandy71  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 4:58:36 AM(UTC)
handyandy71

yeah well you're not the lone ranger. I had a chemical exposure during the gulf war and I'm also disabled but that don't give me the right to talk to people like they are idiots. If you treat people with respect they will generally do the same back..talk to someone like they are stupid and you wont usually get a good response.

I do appreciate you regardless, I just don't bode well with condescending people or comments, it tends to bring out the fighter in me. If you would like to move on from this negativity and help me figure this thing out I'm game. I'm not a stupid person I've repaired many things myself and simply cannot ignore the facts which include people having replaced the defrost timer with no results and turned out to be the temp control thermostat and like I said I don't have much money ( because I'm also on disability) I make less than 12k a year so I have l learned to be a frugal as possible and not waste money. I do my best to test things to the best of my ability to assure I at least gave myself the best chance at success the first time. to me being this way is smart and just makes sense. I came here to see if someone could help me in this goal. you seemed to get bothered when i asked about a way to test the part which in light of the purpose of this forum don't make sense to me but I understand we all have bad days me included..so what do you say, can we move on ? do you know of a way to test this part ?

I should also mention when chatting with a appliancepartpro live chat when looking up parts the agent told me to her it sounded like it was the temp control thermostat which they cannot get. so when i come to the forum and post my issue and you tell me the defrost timer..well now maybe you can see why I would like to know how to test a part. I don't think I'm being unreasonable ..I JUST WANT TO FIX THIS DAMN THING LOL
handyandy71  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 10:12:29 AM(UTC)
handyandy71

ok so for those of you with a similar issue I found a helpful site showing how to diagnose the defrost cycle Refrigerator Defrost System Diagnosis at ApplianceStuff.com

with this information I was able to know my heater was in fact working and also the temp control thermostat was working. If the heater & thermostat wasn't working I would have had ice built up all over my coils most likely which after taking the cover off I did not have. Just to double check I used a meat thermometer on the heater after turning my defrost timer to the defrost cycle ( turn defrost dial until compressor goes off) and the temp just kept rising over 100 degrees f.

So in the end ThatGuy was right, the most likely part that is faulty is the defrost timer. That being said, without knowing if ice was building up behind the cover on the coils or if the heater was heating up when on defrost it was an educated guess on his part. I'm not into guessing when I only have money to buy one part. so for those of you like me the REFRIGERATOR DEFROST CYCLE DIAGNOSIS at the link I provided should do you well.

* if anyone knows where I can find a wiring diagram for the amana SDI25F-L refrigerator I would appreciate it. Apparently there are several ways to wire the new defrost timer and from what I read it helps to have a wiring diagram.
handyandy71  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 4:51:52 PM(UTC)
handyandy71

It's fixed now. I would post some details I have written out but it says I have a score of 40 and its set to 20 so I guess people wont get to see some helpful details I learned in the process.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply