Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brobriffin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:10:31 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes that should work fine. The CAP setting is at the same spot as the ohms spot. It also seems to have the temp function.
Punisher Bass  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 11:09:17 AM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Rather than spend the money on a new meter, I had the idea to take it bu my local mom and pop hardware store and ask if they had a meter that could run the test. They said it was good and tested at 206 microfarads. He suggested my timer had gone out, so I'll sawp in the spare and see what happens.
Punisher Bass  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 2:39:19 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

I just put the machine back together along with the "new" timer, went to run a test load and nothing. It wouldn't even fill with water. I took it all apart again and went back to step one to make sure I didn't miss a wire along the way, and it all checked out near as I could tell.

On a lark I also switched back to the original timer just to insure that I didn't miss a wire somewhere, and the machine is filling up as I write this. And just now went into agitation mode and so far... so good. I'll monitor and update later.

If there's no change from before (not draining/spinning) I will swap timers out again and see if that fixes it. If none of this helps, could it be my pump that's gone out?
Punisher Bass  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:27:01 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Well, test load went totally fine, and I've no idea how or what I did to fix it, unless I just chased out a gremlin. It's the same motor, controller, capacitor, and timer as before. Last week it wouldn't budge and now all seems fine.

However I'm calling it fixed yet, because I have this niggling little feeling that it's just screwing with me and is going to act up the next time I try to use it. Hopefully I'm wrong but we'll see what happens.
Punisher Bass  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 1:54:17 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Ok, I ran two small test loads over the last week and both times it worked just fine. But they were small loads, tonighr I tried to run a large load and I have the same problem where it will fill and then do nothing. I swapped out the timers again and the salvaged unit refuses to do anything.

Anyone have any ideas? I mean everything works for a small load so why would a large one cause it to crap out?
brobriffin  
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2016 2:22:16 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

When you say large load vs small load, are you referring to the water level size. Or are you referring to a setting on the timer itself?
Punisher Bass  
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2016 6:00:03 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Water level size. There are three dials on the panel, a load size (small/med/large), a dial for the water temp, and then the timer itself where you set what kind of cycle to run.
brobriffin  
#18 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2016 6:58:04 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Ok so the machine only acts up when you set the water level to large load?
If so what does it do on the medium setting and does it work on the small setting always?
Punisher Bass  
#19 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 11:49:13 AM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Hi! I'm back and so is my problem, which is almost the same as it was months ago.

Since October I could get the machine to run small and medium sized loads without issue, so I figured I'd just make do with things that way. And it had been fine until 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I was doing a load of towels while working on dinner and noticed the machine wasn't making any noise at all, like before it would fill up but do nothing beyond that at all, the only difference between when I originally started this thread and now is that I was trying to run a medium load instead of a large.

I only just now was able to take the machine apart so I could drain the last of the water (whatever I couldn't scoop or pump out) and look at the guts.

There's no sign of any burned or frayed wires, the discoloration on the wiring harness where it plugs into the motor controller is still there but no worse than it was two years ago. The capacitor checked out visually near as I can tell. I took the motor off and it also showed no signs of failure.

Could it be the timer that's gone out and I need to get a third one to try? Could it be the control module again? I'm really stumped here.
brobriffin  
#20 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 12:52:33 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

I take it that if you advance the timer to the spin setting nothing happens, whether its full or empty?
You said it used to work on small and medium settings, I suppose the water would shut off at that desired level?
If so the washer would then agitate and drain/spin?
What happened when you had it on the large setting, would it fill then just stop?

Keep in mind your machine is analog, their is no control module, the timer works using a set of points (contacts) that are opened or closed using a cam. The timer motor slowly advances the cam thus opening or closing contacts to fill water and run the motor.
The funny thing is that the timer does not know whether you have the water level switch on small, medium or large. It only receives a signal when the water has reached the desired level. The timer motor then advances the cam to the next mode (wash, drain, spin etc)
Previously you had exchanged the timer and had worse result having to reinstall the old timer.
You can try obtaining another timer (Whirlpool Part Number 3355825, google it and get a rebuilt one) to see if this resolves the issue.
I think though you have a weak motor that may have failed or your capacitor is bad.
I would try the capacitor first as it is the cheapest in the line of troubleshooting.
Whirlpool WP8572717 Capacitor - AppliancePartsPros.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply