Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Captain SK  
#21 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 8:09:39 AM(UTC)
Captain SK

Groups: Registered

So the day before I was to go and pickup a new board I put the temp sensor back in because it tested fine and fire up the oven. It's been working absolutely perfect since then and I've tested the temp several times with a thermometer to ensure it's not overheating.

The damn thing fixed itself apparently.

Can anyone explain this?

Also should I replace the board still at this point even though it's working perfectly fine?
denman  
#22 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 10:23:54 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Was it actually overheating earlier or was it just saying that the oven was too hot.

The resistance of the oven sensor increases as the temperature increases.
So if you had a bad connection in the sensor circuit then the oven was not actually too hot but the board was getting incorrect info from the sensor.
A bad connection can look like increased resistance.

If the unit was too hot then I would replace the board. Either the electronics have gone wonky or the element control relay contacts are intermittently sticking closed.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Captain SK  
#23 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 10:27:50 AM(UTC)
Captain SK

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Was it actually overheating earlier or was it just saying that the oven was too hot.

The resistance of the oven sensor increases as the temperature increases.
So if you had a bad connection in the sensor circuit then the oven was not actually too hot but the board was getting incorrect info from the sensor.
A bad connection can look like increased resistance.

If the unit was too hot then I would replace the board. Either the electronics have gone wonky or the element control relay contacts are intermittently sticking closed.

It was too hot for sure Denman. It gave numerous runaway temp fault codes and now is mysteriously working by itself again. I hate to replace the board now that it's working again proactively is my issue. (Always think about purchases like that budget wise even on a $200 purchase).
fpearson  
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2015 3:48:37 PM(UTC)
fpearson

I had mine go with the same symptoms model GFE46ILVB 0 . Interesting thing is I bought a new sensor and replaced it and it still didn't work. I unplugged the oven for a few days and basically forgot about it, then when I turned it on it worked. It broke just before Thanksgiving last year. Then it worked again until just before Thanksgiving this year and the same thing happened. I replaced the sensor again (3rd sensor now) and it still appears to be broken. I love that I have been introduced to the diagnostics you can do by pressing, Cancel then Cancel then Start. In those modes I have cleared all of my operating hours on the unit hoping the computer would maybe forget the planned obsolescence that it has programmed based on operating hours. So far no go. I have ensured my connections are secure, but honestly the circuit board doesn't heat up and it is never touched. I am really skeptical this is a fault on the board. I will give it some time before ordering a new computer. I will keep you posted if it fixes itself again.
kaisers0s3  
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:00:27 PM(UTC)
kaisers0s3

great oven. But all of the sudden, it heats up to 600 degrees and all i can do is watch my pizza closely, then turn it into a pizza turnover of sourts. I will try the recommended strategy!!! thanks!
fpearson  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2016 1:29:30 PM(UTC)
fpearson

For the second time now I have replaced the sensor and it didn't work. I have tried it for a few days, same results, cleared the hours on everything on the computer, let it sit for a few days and it works again. So instead of 2 new ovens it has been 2 new sensors.

It's still working just fine now and hasn't failed in months. I actually think I only cleared the settings this time, not last time.

I would have updated y'all earlier but I couldn't find the site. The last reply sent a message to my inbox. It was probably a week after my last reply that it started working again.
DIYPutz  
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2016 7:02:00 PM(UTC)
DIYPutz

My Whirlpool Gold oven would consistently overheat whereby the broil element would stay on regardless of oven mode in use. I could set bake @250F and broiler would stay on and overheat. I ran the auto test and the console reported:
"1 failure 1 fault.
Runaway temp.
Check oven light wiring".

Wiring looked ok but the bulb was burned out for the past few months. I simply replaced the bulb and the oven seems to work fine again. Auto test now shows zero failures and all oven modes worl as normal.

I am finding it tough to believe a burned out oven light would cause overheating faults. But this 2 year old oven has gone through 4 bulbs already something is not right with it.
fpearson  
#28 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:36:19 PM(UTC)
fpearson

Just wanted to update that it is still working. I expect 1 week before Thanksgiving 2016 I will be posting again :)