Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jags  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 1:19:14 PM(UTC)
Jags

Groups: Registered

Dishwasher quit the other day mid cycle, water standing on the inside. When I press cancel/drain it only hums like it's trying to start and than quits...it will try to run again several times before canceling the cycle and never draining the water.

Have emptied the water out and have the interior parts removed down to the bare shaft and the bottom drain hose disconnected and check valve out. Closing the door and pressing cancel/drain button again the unit hums but won't run....any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2015 2:44:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool DU920PFGQ3 Dishwasher - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

You said that you were down to the bare shaft, try turning it to see in the motor is OK as far as bearings etc.

If OK remove power from the unit disconnect the motor and check the motor windings with a meter. Also check that none of them are grounded.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Jags  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2015 1:29:46 PM(UTC)
Jags

Shaft seems to turn fine and it started spinning.

Reassembled and ran a rinse cycle...that went ok. Than tried normal wash cycle, it started fine but about half way through after a drain an fill it wouldn't started up again. You can hear the motor hum and quit? I switched to cancel/drain and after several attempt it ran finally and drained the unit.
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 2:15:08 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Does sound like a bad motor.
To confirm this you will have to check the windings for resistance and grounding.
Note that this can tell you that the motor is bad but does not tell you that it is good as it may have other problems.

So if it is oK then you have to check it for the correct voltages.

I do not think that I would repair this unit due to the cost and work involved.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dscarter1  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:44:28 AM(UTC)
dscarter1

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Does sound like a bad motor.
To confirm this you will have to check the windings for resistance and grounding.
Note that this can tell you that the motor is bad but does not tell you that it is good as it may have other problems.

So if it is oK then you have to check it for the correct voltages.

I do not think that I would repair this unit due to the cost and work involved.

++

just to add some additional information. It could also be a failing board, or simply a bad ground as mentioned. Chasing that around can be a real pain. More than likely however the motor and capacitor that starts it can be to blame. See if you can find one used locally, ( used vs new save about 60% of cost of part) and see if you can resurrect the unit. The real pain will be in the replacing of the motor in the housing for those who haven't done it repetitively, it can be a bit long. 1.5 hours total time. est.