Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
raylhouse  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:17:01 PM(UTC)
raylhouse

Groups: Registered

Here is the historical rundown. First problem was that the water filter in the fridge side frozen and cracked. When that thawed it leaked. Replaced housing thinking it was just a part gone bad. It froze again even after it turned the temp down a little. Turned off water and resrtedto ice trays. Then a week or so later, the turkey started thawing. Found the block of ice behind the panel where the evaporator fan had stopped working (top half only). Thawed and replaced and all was somewhat OK. The blacktape that waswrapped around the small copper tube and evap coil was fat and squishy (didn't think much about it). Then a couple of weeks later the ice trays started taking a really long time to make ice.had them down low in the freezer thinking they would freezer faster. Ice cubes began to shrink. I think the defrost coil was thawing them every time they almost froze. Saw it glowing one time when i opened freezer. Put the remote thermometer that is usually out front, inside the fridge. It was about 42-46 degrees. Freezer was about 29-35 depending on when I read it and if we had been opening it. Adjusted temp down, up and down again with no change really. Freezer is not operating as fridge for the most part. Hovers around 38. Replaced the control board. Heard dampener cycle. Compressor run. Feels very warm. Cleaned coils. Still no change. Opened back panel and ice was at the top of the coils only. Frozen around wires and the black tape. Thawed and plugged back in. Immediately the coil started to frost over from the black tape to the first bend in the coil. Currently sitting at about 37 degrees in freezer and 48-52 in fridge. Door seals are good. Suggestions ? I have pics if that would help. Thanx
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:01:56 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Frigidaire FRS6LR5EM2 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

If the compressor runs all the except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle then it sounds like a sealed system problem.
See the example pictures about half the way down the following page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/ref...ator-not-cold-enough.php
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
raylhouse  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:11:36 PM(UTC)
raylhouse

Looks similar to the first pic. Compressor cycles on and off. I have seen the defrost coil glow, but it is like a large U shaped coil that heats the sides and bottom so it does not seem to make a dent to the small ice pack below the evaporator fan. Can it be fixed?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:15:03 AM(UTC)
denman

Sorry but I am not sure what is going on here.

The first picture is definitely a symptom of a sealed system problem (usually low freon). This would be an expensive repair and usually it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.

But you say the compressor is cycling so that points towards another problem.

If only that amount of evaporator coil is cooling it should not be able to bring the freezer down to set point temperature so the compressor should always be on except during defrost.

As far as defrost, it is a set time usually about 30 minutes. If all the ice has melted off the coils then the defrost thermostat opens killing power to the heater and the defrost cycle continues but the heater is off.

Perhaps try unplugging the unit.
Then short the freezer temperature control thermostat's contacts/wires together. Make sure that they cannot short to anything else.
Then plug the unit in and give it a try.
The compressor should be on all the time and the freezer temperature should drop to at least 0 degrees F.

If the compressor cycles then I would say that it could be a defrost board problem.

If the compressor stays on all the time but the freezer cannot get down to 0 to 5 degrees F then I would say it is a sealed system problem.

If it reaches 0 to 5 degrees F then I would say that the control thermostat is probably bad re: it is opening before it should.
raylhouse  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 6:12:28 PM(UTC)
raylhouse

Sorry I took so long to reply. I was out of town.
I have been listening and checking. The compressor cycles on and off as far as I can tell. Attached pics. One pic is with the ice block at the top and is the most recent. The other two were taken when the compressor and evap fan were not running and the coil was red hot. I can email too.
raylhouse attached the following image(s):
20150622_200016_resized.jpg
20150509_164202_resized.jpg
20150509_164221_resized.jpg
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:33:38 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]The compressor cycles on and off as far as I can tell.[/COLOR]
You have to be sure that it is cycling properly as this is a major clue as to what may be causing the problem.

The two pictures you show during defrost look normal to me.

I do not know what is causing the huge ice block.
I can say that it does not look like this block is melting off during defrost.
It looks like the defrost thermostat is inside the block so when all the ice has melted off the evaporator coils the heater would stay on and this would add excessive heat into the freezer compartment.

I would melt off the ice block.
Then check the putty that seal the refrigeration line where they come into the freezer compartment.
My thought here is that if it is not sealed correctly warm moist air will enter the compartment and condense/freez in this area.

One it has melted off then replace the cover,plug the unit in and let it run for an hour or so. Then remove the cover so you can inspect the evaporator coils. They should have a fairly even coating of frost.