Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChdoulaDIY  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2015 1:39:29 AM(UTC)
ChdoulaDIY

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore 90 washer agitates but it does not spin. The motor sounds like it is spinning, but it does not actually spin. All the other functions of the wash cycle are working fine. To fix the problem, I have checked, removed and replaced the lid switch, the washer motor coupler, and the agitator dogs. And still it does not spin. I also pulled the transmission to check the clutch, and it looked fine: a tight well tensioned spring. So, what could be the problem causing the washer not to spin., any advice ??
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2015 4:24:17 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You need to run the machine with the cabinet removed and the lid switch bypassed. Set washer to spin cycle and observe the clutch hub. If the hub is not rotating but the motor shaft is and your sure the coupler is ok, then the transmission is faulty.

Eric
ChdoulaDIY  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 5:47:06 PM(UTC)
ChdoulaDIY

And yes, the hub is rotating. So it is not the transmission, right ?!
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:39:12 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Right, transmission ok. Look up into the brake hub just above the clutch hub. When the clutch hub is spinning, is the basket drive also spinning? This includes the brake shoes and the large brake spring. If it is not rotating, then the clutch is slipping or the brake cam driver is broken. If it is spinning but basket is not, then it's the drive block. You would need to remove the agitator to examine the top of the drive block.

Eric
ChdoulaDIY  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:12:11 PM(UTC)
ChdoulaDIY

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Right, transmission ok. Look up into the brake hub just above the clutch hub. When the clutch hub is spinning, is the basket drive also spinning? This includes the brake shoes and the large brake spring. If it is not rotating, then the clutch is slipping or the brake cam driver is broken. If it is spinning but basket is not, then it's the drive block. You would need to remove the agitator to examine the top of the drive block.

Eric

Yes, I could observe the large brake spring not spinning when the clutch hub is spinning. I removed and installed a new clutch and brake cam driver. Still the washer did not spin. So the drive bloc may be the next culprit. I have ordered a new one, will install it and see if that fixes the problem.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:59:16 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

If the basket drive is not spinning, then the problem is not the drive block. The drive block secures the basket to the basket drive. Any time you take the transmission out, the basket drive usually drops just a little. You must grab the brake cam driver by hand and rotate it CCW while pushing up to make sure the basket drive is fully up into the brake hub. Then you can install the transmission back in place. This may be the problem.

Eric
ChdoulaDIY  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:33:32 AM(UTC)
ChdoulaDIY

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
If the basket drive is not spinning, then the problem is not the drive block. The drive block secures the basket to the basket drive. Any time you take the transmission out, the basket drive usually drops just a little. You must grab the brake cam driver by hand and rotate it CCW while pushing up to make sure the basket drive is fully up into the brake hub. Then you can install the transmission back in place. This may be the problem.

Eric

Well, that is not the problem. I made sure I rotated CCW the brake cam driver while pushing it all the way up when I changed the clutch. -Besides the bolts of the transmission bloc will not snuggle if the basket drive is not pushed up.

Anyway, at this point, I have removed and replaced a new clutch that rotates fine, a new motor coupler, a new brake cam driver, new agitator dogs and a new lid switch. But the washing machine still does not spin.!!

Reading thru threads, it seems that the other possible culprits left are the drive bloc or the whole washer basket drive (the spin tube) and its bearings.

Any other options or advice ?
ChdoulaDIY  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:35:18 AM(UTC)
ChdoulaDIY

While removing and replacing the drive bloc, I had to remove the washer's spin basket, and there I found a pair of wet socks stuck between the basket and the washer's wall. Well, I removed the socks, put back the washer together...and voila. It spins and works just fine. Problem solved.

After all, I am wondering now whether I really had to remove and replace the washer's lid switch, the motor coupler, the clutch, the drive bloc and the agitator dogs....!!