Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gtg932  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 11:02:12 PM(UTC)
gtg932

Groups: Registered

Hello,

My Maytag washer is leaking oil onto the floor. Is there an easy way to fix this? I found a video on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz1aDPYey8o) that shows how to change the seal. If the seal is the problem, it doesn't look too difficult to repair.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:14:52 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Yep, go ahead and replace the seal, fill it with the appropriate level of oil and you should be all set.
gtg932  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2014 9:24:25 PM(UTC)
gtg932

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Yep, go ahead and replace the seal, fill it with the appropriate level of oil and you should be all set.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what kind of oil this machine uses, and how much?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:55:59 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I don't have the specs on that model, so I suggest you contact the parts department of APP (those of us who reply here are volunteers and do not work for APP) or contact customer service at Maytag and they should be able to give you that information.
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:35:57 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You need to determine where the oil is leaking from. It could be the input shaft seal, the cover gasket or the seals at the spin pinion gear that protrudes out the top of the gearcase. If it's a small amount of oil, I wouldn't worry about adding more back in. If it's a lot, then the only way to get the correct amount in would be to remove the top cover. Oil level should be just below the top edge of the lower half of the gearcase. This washer has the Maytag name on it but it's made by Whirlpool. The correct oil to add is at this link.

Whirlpool 350572 Gear Case Oil - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
gtg932  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:01:40 PM(UTC)
gtg932

I took the cover off the washer and noticed the oil is dripping from a different part than what the video shows. Here are pics of the part:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:56:33 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You need to determine exactly where the oil is leaking from. Just because it's dripping off the bottom most part of the transmission, doesn't mean that's where the leak is. It could very well be the input shaft seal and the oil is running along the transmission housing and accumulating there at the most bottom part and dripping off.

Eric
gtg932  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:11:24 PM(UTC)
gtg932

I've never taken this part of the machine apart before so I'm not sure how to dig further in to see where the oil is coming from. Are there any videos that would help with this area?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:40:59 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

It's leaking from the input shaft seal and just running along the bottom of the transmission and dripping from the lowest point. Your first diagnosis was correct. Just replace the input shaft seal. Unlikely that you've lost enough oil to worry about replacing any.

Eric