Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

22 Pages«<202122
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smiley1989  
#211 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:02:23 AM(UTC)
smiley1989

Groups: Registered

Hey I was hoping someone could help me with my ge fridge model#PSS26SGPASS /serial # SF413296... Im pretty sure I seen it on here before, but can't find it now.. Alright so the compressor/ condenser fan is not spinning very fast and the compressor is getting really hot... I have floor fan on compressor to help cool and it works. Both freezer and fridge are at right temps. So I think its the fan but I seen a diagram on here where you guys test the motherboard, so could someone send that diagram to me just so I could be 100% sure before I replace fan... Thanks in advance because I know you guys help me all the time.
joebob01  
#212 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2015 4:05:19 PM(UTC)
joebob01

I have a psf26pgta ww and the evap fan doesn't always run causing my ice to melt a little then refreeze. I checked supply voltages (red wire) at the control board and they were at 18v instead of the 13.6 its supposed to be. and I get nothing checking the yellow. does that seem like a control board problem rathr than fan problem?
hamish05064  
#213 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:02:25 AM(UTC)
hamish05064

That support is too confusing one and not working fine for me
defurr  
#214 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2016 6:53:47 AM(UTC)
defurr

I gather from the fact that this is the #2 most popular post in this sub-forum that GE evaporator fans are pretty problematic? I have a GE Profile PFCS1PJZSS French door that I inherited. It can't be more than six years old. A year ago, I think the evap fan was getting bogged down by frost. A repairman told me the compressor was bad. I allowed the unit to sit for a few hours, plugged back in, and it worked like a champ for another year.

Then, last weekend, same symptoms (warm fridge/cold freezer), but no fan noise. Different tech comes out and proclaims the same thing: "Only 5% of evap coils working. $3K to replace sealed system. Need a new fridge!" And yet 24 hours after the guy left, freezer is once more at 0 degrees.

Granted that my evap coils might be under-performing a bit, but if fan isn't working at all (which is clearly the case, based on room temp fridge) then couldn't I just get that replaced and keep using this thing for at least a while longer?
Sean_Herrera  
#215 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 6:08:20 PM(UTC)
Sean_Herrera

Hi. I’m new to this forum trying to find help for the problem I describe below. My GE Fridge is a DSS25KGRBBB side-by-side and is 14 yrs old.

About 2 weeks ago, we noticed the freezer section not being as cold as before with food starting to thaw and ice to melt. I observed the evap fan spinning very slowly - I thought too slow to pull sufficient air through the evap coils. You could barely feel any air coming out the vents. I checked the evap coils and they weren’t iced up so blockage was not a reason for the low air flow. (Also please note that I changed the defrost thermostat, defrost heater and all 4 thermistors in the unit around 1 year ago as we were having issues with the evaporator icing up).

I checked the main board and it looked fine so I decided to replace the evap motor (WR60X100074). Upon turning the unit back on the fan was spinning fast (like I remember it doing) and the fridge and freezer worked fine for 1 week before the temp started to rise again at which point I noticed the evap fan was not coming on at all and upon checking the main board found the upper of the 2 fairly large resistors burnt out. I removed the 1-week old evap motor and found it to be burnt out (using an external DC source). With the board being the original 14 yr old one I decided to change it along with the burnt evap motor and I also changed the evap thermistor to be on the safe side - so all 3 parts were now brand new.

I re-installed everything and all was working fine - fan spinning strongly, freezer cold, ice maker working great, etc. This morning (so 5 days later) I woke up to find food in the freezer thawing again and the evap fan not coming on at all. I then checked the main board to find that the same resistor that had burnt on the original board had burned on this one too. Arghhhh!! I have not had the chance to check the evap motor but I’m quite sure I’m gonna find it was burned out just like the previous one.

So having changed the evap motor, thermistor and the board, I am totally stumped as to how the board and the motor have again burned out. And prior to all this happening, in the 14 years I’ve had the unit I’ve never had any issues with the evap fan.

Greatly looking forward to some expert opinions on this.

Many thanks in advance...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply