Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NorthbyNW  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:57:24 PM(UTC)
NorthbyNW

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. I have never heard of this site until I was searching today. Seems like a great resource! We have a 2006ish GE Refrigerator with the bottom freezer drawer. Model No. GDL20KCSABS

For about 3 months we experience clicking noises coming from the fridge at regular intervals. Sounded like a switch turning on and off for about 30 seconds, then the fridge would sound like it was laboring a bit, then it would go away for a while.

We never did anything about it, because everything seemed to be staying cold. Not today. The clicking has stopped, but so has the cooling in the Fridge unit. Luckily, we have a small beer fridge and managed to move everything without much of a loss.

The freezer seems to be fine. There is a humming noise coming from the fridge as if it is still doing something.

I have read on this forum that there are some problems with the GE motherboards, and that the clicking sounds is associated with that. I will be calling GE tomorrow to ask about that, but any advice I can find here would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 7:33:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have a bad start device on the side of the compressor, or a bad motherboard.
To verify, pull the gray power connector from the board and insert a wire jumper between the mating pins as labled on the mother board, line and com
If the compressor runs normally , you have a bad board.
NorthbyNW  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 8:35:47 PM(UTC)
NorthbyNW

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the quick response, richappy!
So, I did what you recommended, and the compressor did run when I jumped between the line and com pins. It appears I have a bad motherboard.
I was searching through the site and found this post:
http://forum.appliancepartspros...rator-29.html#post779125
Both of the 470uF/25V capacitors were bulging, as you can see here.
UserPostedImage
I have a soldering iron and a little experience soldering from college, I'm willing to take on a $0.50 replacement as opposed to a $130 replacement. I will replace the capacitors with the exact same specs, unlike the OP. Do you have any advice or objections to trying this? As I see it, if the board is already broken, I can't hurt things.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:41:40 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have no experience on this, but you might be wasting time, capacitors usually don't go bad unless there is some power supply problem which is hard to fix.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply